FJ40 Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So hello my name is jose and im 17. I just bought an FJ40 and i was planning on me and my dad to work on it :) There is a lot of stuff that is unoriginal. So a lot of the bottons dont really work and the car kinda smells like gas almost all the time. Iv driven the car but the dang people who had it before switched the tranny to a 4 speed even though the car is supposed to be a 3 speed.. And also shifter is so lose that when your in a gear (ie. first gear) The stick moves so much that it feels like its in neutral. And also Sometimes when your driving and your trying to get back into first gear.. You need to push the clutch a lot like pump it then finally it will go in. So im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and some advise ?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Looks nice what year, more pictures

Pull the gas tank out and check for leaks, as well as check all the lines to it. A friends saw mine and thought the gas tank under the seat was so dangerous, I said very safe. You will know when there is a problem right away. Also sounds like you need t new clutch master or slave cylinder, probably the master is going bad.

Sounds like clutch master needs a rebuild... And you should do the slave at the same time.

I'd not worry about the trans... Keep your eyes open for another and swap when it's convient.

A fourspeed is a good thing... Is it still a Toyota trans? There are lots of sm420 and sm465 transmissions in 40s.

Find the FAQ link at the top of the forum and start reading. All the answers are there. You should be able to tear into it and fix what you've talked about for a couple hundred $$ and a couple weekends of work. You have to take the seats and brackets out to get to the tank, so you might as well take off the tranny hump and take a look at how the shifter goes into the trans and deal with the clutch master/slave. Rebuilt parts for those from Napa are a good deal.

Don't be afraid to take the top cover off the tranny to see why it's loose. It could be worn out. There's a SST to take out the shifter, but I've always been able to get by with two big screw drivers.

Post lots of pictures. Pay $20 for a star so you don't have a picture posting limit.

Looks nice what year

It appears to be a 68 or 69 with a V8 conversion. The transmission shifter boots looks like a stock FJ40 boot but a shifter that loose sounds more like a SM420. I know the Toyota shifters get loose but loose like in neutral while in first gear:hmm:

Over all it looks like a pretty clean cruiser for your first vehicle. Good luck with it.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom