350 vs. 2F ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here so please forgive me if this question has been asked a million times.
I have been trying to find an Fj40 with a V8 for a while now and in the mean time have been letting some great stock cruisers go. I wanted a V8 for the power but maybe I should consider the 2F also....

My questions are:
How does a 2f stack up next to a 350 power-wise?
How expensive is it to swap in a 350 if I don't like the 2f?

I'm sure there may be an old post that asked this already so if you can point me to that I would appreciate it.
Thanks for your time!

I don't know the exact power difference but my question is WHY do you want more power? Is it to go faster on the highway, if that is the case then you would also need to swap out the tranny/tcase ($)because they are lower geared...unless you go with a later 70's early 80' then they have 4 speed tranny's. If its so you can throw mud around...why, the stock engines are great at low end torque and can crawl up a lot of things, over things but will not throw mud around as pretty as a 350. Also once you add a 350 then with that high end torque you are looking at breaking things, birfields (axles) because you spin big wheels at high rpm and on comes off the ground and when it touches down...snap. So, what I am saying, yes lots of people go with a 350, but you have to BUILD your rig around it to make it all happy. Not against, but not my preferred...I like stock, also not in my budget to go v8. My cheap 2 cents ;)

How do you plan to use it? Street? Highway? Off road?

I'd buy one with a 2F if I was in the market for another. I loved my F... RIP... Now have a 350. Miss the F sometimes.

Cost for 350 was +/- $2000 + $500 for motor... Including new clutch, dual exhaust, 120 amp alternator, conversion kit. I did all the work with the exception of building the exhaust ($425) and welding the motor mounts to the frame ($60).

Off road the 350 does almost as well as the F. The 1974 F would do 65 mph on the highway and got there in a reasonable amount of time. Well the 350 will make the 40 go faster than you should... I've yet to see how fast it can go. It's fast enough.

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the kind of advice I'd like to get. The only reason I want the 350 is just for the fun of it. I plan on using this cruiser as just a fun daily driver and wouldn't mind being able to spin the tires once in a while.
Also I plan on only buying a cruiser that comes with the stock 4-speed, or a converted FJ with a 5-Speed. I won't touch an automatic.
Thanks.

I've not seen a 350 conversion in person (other than my own) that I'd want to own. Many are hack jobs... Especially those for sale. Be careful. Stay clear of Mickey Mouse's handy work.

There is something to be said for a stock, well engineered rig. Even if it won't spin the tires in first, second and third...:D

How do you plan to use it? Street? Highway? Off road?

I'd buy one with a 2F if I was in the market for another. I loved my F... RIP... Now have a 350. Miss the F sometimes.

Cost for 350 was +/- $2000 + $500 for motor... Including new clutch, dual exhaust, 120 amp alternator, conversion kit. I did all the work with the exception of building the exhaust ($425) and welding the motor mounts to the frame ($60).

What makes you miss the F? Also does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to have someone do the install for me? Ballpark range...
Thanks.

The F... The sound, the bottom end lug-ability, the simplicity, and reliability.

Cost... I think it took me 80+ hours (never having done a swap before). I'm sure many could do it in a lot less. The more fab/fiddling required, the longer it will take. Wiring, fuel linkages, clutch lines, mounts that don't quite fit, etc...

Ive really wanted a 350 for a while now. I just like power, but my f does just fine, i would like to have one lower gear though. If i were to add one thing to my 40 today, it would be power steering! In town its fine, but running trails, uuggghh!

I've not seen a 350 conversion in person (other than my own) that I'd want to own. Many are hack jobs... Especially those for sale. Be careful. Stay clear of Mickey Mouse's handy work.

There is something to be said for a stock, well engineered rig. Even if it won't spin the tires in first, second and third...:D

We went with a 350 chev sm465 4 speed. used all Advance adapters parts. it was easy conversion. clean good instructions and affordable
630440095_2253018438_0.jpg
phone 001 023.jpg
phone 001 271.jpg

How much was affordable, when all was said and done. I have been pondering this for a while. I through a rod in the original 2F that was in my 40 thanks to a local shop here, long story. Anyway he got a replacement 2F from a 1980 40 that has never been run since I have had. I am at the point of replacement with a 350 or try and get the one that I have running.

I have one of each in my cruisers. For daily driving I like the 350 better, haven't off-roaded the 2F so I can't tell you which I like better for off-road ;)

Jonny

My 40 is a daily driver. I commute on the freeway so I really appreciate my 350 SBC and 700R4 transmission. I know you have a dislike for automatics, but with the overdrive I can cruise all day long at 70-80 mph with no issue or strain on my motor. The gas mileage is a huge plus for me too.

The 2F has 155 hp stock, & my 350 has about 350 hp. I swapped in the 350 about 14 years ago, & while I like the power, & that parts are cheap & available everywhere for the Chevy, I do miss how the 2f crawls off road (the 350 wants to run away). A year and a half ago I picked up a BJ60 with the stock 4 cyl diesel, & holy crap does that motor crawl, but it's only got 80 hp. I'm now thinking of putting one of those 3B diesels in my FJ40 ( then it will be a BJ40), then I can afford to drive it every day. Over the years I've become less concerned about going fast & spinning my tires. I've always loved cruisers because of their offroad capabilities. Let's face it, cruisers aren't race cars.

I too dislike automatic trans. I installed a two speed overdrive between the stock 4 speed and 350, so I have overdrive for every gear, including reverse.

Thank you everyone for all of the great information. It answered a lot of questions but now probably makes my choice a little harder as it seems that both engines would be fine for my needs. I'm still leaning toward a 350 though because it sounds like that is best for day to day driving.

Thats funny, I could not find an FJ40 that was not converted to a V8.

I would go with the flow...if you find a nice FJ with the original engine...stick with it.

If you find an FJ with a decent conversion...go with it.

Over all...the rule of thumb is to find a rig that someone else has devoted a lot of time and money to...And take advantage of what ever situation they have that is forcing a sale.

The lesson that I learned so far in our build is that....it is better to let someone else do the work before you buy.:doh: It is not the big projects that cost...it is all of the little ones.

Doc

How much was affordable, when all was said and done. I have been pondering this for a while. I through a rod in the original 2F that was in my 40 thanks to a local shop here, long story. Anyway he got a replacement 2F from a 1980 40 that has never been run since I have had. I am at the point of replacement with a 350 or try and get the one that I have running.

bout 1800 for the complete advance adapter kit that also includes the twin stick conversion and complete centerforce clutch. Engine was $400 friend of mine sold it to me out of a wrecked truck it had about 1000 miles on it. then i put about another 1000 into it. tranny was around 250. and new long travel shafts around 600. then about nother 500 for misc stuff and exhaust.....so about 4g....give or take an we did all the work ourselves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom