2-speeds on a single speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It might help to have just a little more information--what kind of bike, what gears do you want, etc.

You can do what you say above, or you can do both--something like this, and most likely not need the tensioner: My Fixed/free 1-speed/2-speed/3-speed Mountain Bike.

But I wonder why you would want the bother. If you need gears, just use a geared bicycle.

Specialized Rockhopper SS SL

Currently have 32 - 20, which is nice for the trails but is a little quick for getting there and back.

Just a thought I had, but agree that I'll probably settle in on a single speed and make it work. Trying out a 17t cog for the next couple of weeks so we'll see how it goes.

Probably just need to HTFU. :D

Seems like a lot of "tinkering' to do at the trailhead. I've an internal geared, 3-speed hub on my commuter, I've often thought it'd be sweet to have that (in the right gear ratios) on my SS.

32-18 is okay riding to the trailhead, but I only have to go about 2 miles to get there. I went 32-16 for a while and that was definitely better on the flats, but about killed me on the longer climbs.

I have 5 miles up hill that are not too bad but the 5 miles home were the worst. I started to just play more on the way home. Trying to find stairs or a curb, whatever to liven up the ride home.

Why not get a flip-flop hub? I had one for a little while - fixed on one side, freewheel on the other. Was nice to have sometimes.

Why not get a flip-flop hub? I had one for a little while - fixed on one side, freewheel on the other. Was nice to have sometimes.

If he's got a casette hub he can easily do two gears. I like fixed gear too, but not so much off road.

It's not really tinkering at the trailhead, just flip the QR, move the chain over, and flip it back. You don't even have to pull the wheel all the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom