fj 60 carb fan not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my carb fan doesnt work can ne one tell me where to start looking to figure out y ? idont kno if it has a relay or a fuse or what?

The most common cause is that the wire to the thermocouple under the manifold has been burned up by the heat. Find that wire and ground it to something. I think that will cause the fan to run. I shielded mine with some aluminum foil (but you need to be careful not to ground the wire through the aluminum foil).

The most common cause is that the wire to the thermocouple under the manifold has been burned up by the heat. Find that wire and ground it to something. I think that will cause the fan to run. I shielded mine with some aluminum foil (but you need to be careful not to ground the wire through the aluminum foil).

just grounding the wire will cause the fan to run every time the key is switched from the "on" to"off" postion, regardless of how hot or long the engine was run, or not. the run time is about 20 minutes.

One thing that can prevent the carb fan from running is if the 5 amp fuse is blown.
Easy clue - if the carb fan is not running after you turn off the ignition, check to see if you can turn on either of the dome lights. They are all on the same fuse. If the lights don't work, I'd check that fuse.

just grounding the wire will cause the fan to run every time the key is switched from the "on" to"off" postion, regardless of how hot or long the engine was run, or not. the run time is about 20 minutes.
WRONG! You'll drain your battery to 0.

There is a temp switch to the right under the intake manifold.
Check the wire which can be burned from the heat.
Check the connection.
Check the fuse. (Dome light is same fuse)
With ignition OFF ground this wire, you should hear a relay click and fan should run.
If not check the fuse. (Dome light is same fuse)
If fuse is good disconnect fan and hook up directly to 12V, does it run?
If all is good including connection to temp switch, then check temp switch.

Hahaha nice! :cheers:

was feeling like a smartass... lmgtfy is a favorite of mine for repetitive tech questions. Not what this was and no offense intended. I could've added ih8mud to it for even better focused results.

;p

WRONG! You'll drain your battery to 0.

sorry, but you are mistaken.
this is a common fix.
it is the way mine is wired. has never "killed" the battery. has been setup this way for about 4 years now. i have timed it. it runs about 22minutes and shut off.

sorry, but you are mistaken.
this is a common fix.
it is the way mine is wired. has never "killed" the battery. has been setup this way for about 4 years now. i have timed it. it runs about 22minutes and shut off.

Sorry Dude but I have to respond your post!

There is no timer or the like.
There is a temperature switch (located to th right of the carb by the manifold) which, once a certain temperature [it is designed for] is reached (heat around the exhaust manifold) clicks and switches to ground.

Once the engine is tuned off and the fan on, after cooling down, foremost the before mentioned
exhaust manifold, and once again a certain [lower] temperature is reached this thermal switch clicks back again and the ground is open aka disconnected. Fan stops.

Depending on heat and climate it can take up to 20something minutes. Observe that in an ice cold winter it is much shorter than on a sizzling hot summer afternoon.

In principle the thermal switch is similar to your old Honeywell house thermostat. That thing ain't got a timer but clicks once the bimetal expanded or contracted moving the contacts on/off past whatever the temperature preset is. Time is irrelevant, temperature is.

However, granted there might be a safety feature that cuys off the fan after a certain time. I doubt it though.

:cheers:

There is a temperature switch (located to th right of the carb by the manifold) which, once a certain temperature [it is designed for] is reached (heat around the exhaust manifold) clicks and switches to ground.

Once the engine is tuned off and the fan on, after cooling down, foremost the before mentioned
exhaust manifold, and once again a certain [lower] temperature is reached this thermal switch clicks back again and the ground is open aka disconnected. Fan stops.

Depending on heat and climate it can take up to 20something minutes. Observe that in an ice cold winter it is much shorter than on a sizzling hot summer afternoon.

In principle the thermal switch is similar to your old Honeywell house thermostat. That thing ain't got a timer but clicks once the bimetal expanded or contracted moving the contacts on/off past whatever the temperature preset is. Time is irrelevant, temperature is.

However, granted there might be a safety feature that cuys off the fan after a certain time. I doubt it though.

<< SIGH...>>>

Sorry Dude, you ARE wrong. There is a timer under the passenger kick panel. Take yours off and you will see a black box that says "cooling fan Relay / timer".

Grounding the wire that would go to the temp sensor is a simple, effective workaround to a faulty sensor or burnt wire. A new sensor is $90 from Toyota. I've had mine running grounded like that for years and the fan always turns off after 15 mins. And FWIW, I've got 5 old sensors on the shelf and none of them work: 25+ years of being exposed to 300+ degrees takes its toll.

<< SIGH...>>>

Sorry Dude, you ARE wrong. There is a timer under the passenger kick panel. Take yours off and you will see a black box that says "cooling fan Relay / timer".

Grounding the wire that would go to the temp sensor is a simple, effective workaround to a faulty sensor or burnt wire. A new sensor is $90 from Toyota. I've had mine running grounded like that for years and the fan always turns off after 15 mins. And FWIW, I've got 5 old sensors on the shelf and none of them work: 25+ years of being exposed to 300+ degrees takes its toll.

X2. I grounded mine like this about a year ago.

where did this intel come from?
as has already been covered, it is bad information.
right now there are two people telling you this, a simple search will show we are not the only ones using this meathod.

protest as long as you wish, but you are still incorrect.

Brian is right. I had my wire accidentally grounded when the fitting on the end of the wire touched metal. It would always shut off after a set period of time. Jim C. explained the way it was supposed to work; I removed the grounding problem and let the current flow through the thermocouple, and now it runs according to the temperature of my manifold. I only mentioned grounding the wire in the first place because it was a diagnostic step, i.e., if the fan ran, then you knew it was not the fan.

thanx for the info i will try to find the thermocouple 2moro and see if the wire is burnt it would be nice if i could find a pic of it so i kno what to look for tho

Once the engine is tuned off and the fan on, after cooling down, foremost the before mentioned exhaust manifold, and once again a certain [lower] temperature is reached this thermal switch clicks back again and the ground is open aka disconnected. Fan stops.

X5 ... Wrong!!! It runs right around 20 minutes and shuts down

Then please rationalize for me a justifiable reason why Toyota would bother to install a temperature sensor? That manifold is anyway hot within a couple of minutes every time you run the engine.
From automotive mass production calculus a total waste of unwarranted added mfg. cost.

FWIW My sensor is 25 years old original 309,000 miles and works.
BTW I hooked mine up direct to ground on a cold engine and the fan started running....and running....and running...

<< SIGH...>>>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom