All this talk about drawers..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked these up last night. I really wanted drawers, but couldn't decide on what to get. I really like Christo's drawers, but wanted something a bit more custom and after seeing the prices for ARB I decided to look somewhere else. I checked out Warfield(hawkeye) and I was really impressed with what he's doing, but I wanted someone local.

I found this guy on Expedition Portal named Jamie, Tortuga Designs, and he's in Colorado Springs. We met up and discussed what I was looking for, he took a couple of measurements, and then I waited. I probably changed a half dozen things between our first meeting and when I got the drawers and I loved that flexibility. The quality of work is outstanding and despite one small fitment issue I would fully recommend him.

IMG_20110411_125042.jpg

IMG_20110411_125053.jpg

IMG_20110411_125113.jpg

IMG_20110411_125124.jpg

IMG_20110411_125219.jpg

Looks good Fubuki! This project is coming up soon for me as well. I have a friend that owns a cabinet shop and I'm going to raid his shop for drawer parts soon! I might use some solid surface countertop material and some other items I've been thinking of. It's always nice to support your local people!

Looks great man. I'll have to check them out some time.

Nice work! I am getting ready to try to build some myself. Just need to pin down my neighbor to use his table saw one of these days.

Those look awesome. How are mounted to the bed?

Looks great! Good workmanship.

Those look awesome. How are mounted to the bed?

It's currently not. I need to get some turnbuckles and use the existing tie-downs. I'm having trouble finding them small enough though. If anyone knows where I can get turnbuckles under 3" please let me know.

Nice! Looks very sharp! I just finished drawing up the design for some drawers for my 100 with an integrated sub box for my 2 12's...now just to find the time to build em.
Those look awesome and deserve props for sure! I really like that top slide out, that was a genius idea! I was worried about my drawers being real heavy, as they will have subwoofers, an amp, and be full of tools...do yours seem to bring about any issues?

Nice! Looks very sharp! I just finished drawing up the design for some drawers for my 100 with an integrated sub box for my 2 12's...now just to find the time to build em.
Those look awesome and deserve props for sure! I really like that top slide out, that was a genius idea! I was worried about my drawers being real heavy, as they will have subwoofers, an amp, and be full of tools...do yours seem to bring about any issues?

I did quadruple JL 8w3's! Waiting on the budget for the subs! hahah But I do have enough space for 4 subs in a sealed box!Having a BASSment party in my hundy:bounce:

I did quadruple JL 8w3's! Waiting on the budget for the subs! hahah But I do have enough space for 4 subs in a sealed box!Having a BASSment party in my hundy:bounce:
Nice! That's awesome! Any pics? That's encouraging that it has been done before and works out. I was just worried about my volume of the sub box section and trying to get it right for my subs. Was also debating between a slot port and sealed...designed both so I think I'll just weigh out my options

You guys that are in sub-woofer shopping mode might want to lend an ear to the JL Audio W7AE series. I've been running the 8" version the past 6-years (geez how time flies!). Super defined low end, tight and another big perk: Super durable!

JL Audio W7 Subwoofers - Car Audio Subwoofers

Lookin good! And about the 8's, I had considered downsizing, but I have never heard some 8's or even 10's hit like some 12's do. And the way I was going to do it, the subs would be in a slant type box integrated into the drawer system on the top. If my scanner worked I could have uploaded my design...but since it doesn't here's a super quick mock up I made in paint haha
sub drawer box.jpg

I have a 12" comp sub. Inside my (can't really call them drawers) storage system and ..... Oh my god. That box I built amplified the sub (vented box) by about 3 times. It's stupid loud, I'm not a rattle other cars type of person, but I have replaced every speaker and sub with aftermarket with nothing spared. I think I have the best sounding 100. As well as the loudest and clearest :)

Those drawers are nice!

Nice, glad to know someone else has at least 1 12 in their storage system! And yeah, whenever I switched from my 1 12 in a sealed box to 2 in a vented...wow the difference! I'm not a big rap fan, but sometimes I can't resist the urge to thump down the street. I used to have a single RF P2 (saw that in your sig) and it would pound before I blew it...so I know exactly what you mean.

Typically sealed boxes will produce lower deeper bass and ported boxes play louder... Of course there are so many types of configurations with bandpass enclosures, push pull configurations, dual voice coil setups, series and parallel wiring, etc that can all make a big difference in sound quality... A good quality pair of 8's will sound better than cheap 12's any day too... I personally like a good quality sub in the smallest box possible to free up as much space as possible... I'm not trying to win a bass off or be "that guy" at the stop light turning heads either tho... I have 1 kicker 10 and all kicker mids in my 100 and it has kept me pretty happy for years now... I can't imagine having multiple 12's or tripple 8's or whatever in the back of my 100... I did have a friend that had a wall of 15's in the back of a VW Bug back in high school... That thing would set off car alarms but it did win a lot of car shows...

jgray said:
Typically sealed boxes will produce lower deeper bass and ported boxes play louder... Of course there are so many types of configurations with bandpass enclosures, push pull configurations, dual voice coil setups, series and parallel wiring, etc that can all make a big difference in sound quality... A good quality pair of 8's will sound better than cheap 12's any day too... I personally like a good quality sub in the smallest box possible to free up as much space as possible... I'm not trying to win a bass off or be "that guy" at the stop light turning heads either tho... I have 1 kicker 10 and all kicker mids in my 100 and it has kept me pretty happy for years now... I can't imagine having multiple 12's or tripple 8's or whatever in the back of my 100... I did have a friend that had a wall of 15's in the back of a VW Bug back in high school... That thing would set off car alarms but it did win a lot of car shows...

I am going to switch to a high quality 8" and downsize massively. My box is ridiculous. You will see in a few weeks how big it is. A small child could sit in the sub. But man, it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom