Help! Newb question on loose steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Went to check out an LC today with 170K on it. Looks nice from the outside but once I start to drive it, I notice the steering was really loose. It kept pulling right and the owner doesn't remember when he last had the thing aligned. I looked at the tires and notice the rear right pass side was fairly worned compared to the rest. He told me he had rotated it recently and that tire belonged to to front.

He's asking price is $6750 for a 95' with no lock. Body in good shape, and intioir is ok.

What could this loose steering be? I looked over landtank's "Front axle evaulation for FAQ", but since it's only a potential lc, I can't jake it up and follow the evaulation.

Is this going to cost me thousands in repair? I don't have a garage...

Thanks in advance.

Pete

By loose you mean it wandered around and you had to keep correcting to keep it going straight down the road? I'm not the expert; wait awhile, others who are will chime in. You could take it to a Toyota mechanic or dealership and pay them $100 to do a complete evaluation, then use the estimates to get a lower price. If the seller won't agree to an inspection you can walk away.

By loose you mean it wandered around and you had to keep correcting to keep it going straight down the road? I'm not the expert; wait awhile, others who are will chime in. You could take it to a Toyota mechanic or dealership and pay them $100 to do a complete evaluation, then use the estimates to get a lower price. If the seller won't agree to an inspection you can walk away.

I wouldn't say it's all over the place, but it's diffinitly loose. I was driving on paved road that was a little slant to the right, so the lc start pulling right. It felt like it was unsafe to drive on the freeway.

I don't think the owner would let me take it in to the dealer as he was already dropping the price as I told him I need to get more info on this. He dropped it down to $6000 and said he's willing to go a little lower.

I'm just afraid it's the birfields and I don't have the resource to replace those.

If the seller won't allow you to take it for an inspection I would walk away. It could cost you thousands to fix something major. A running rig without those problems would be in the same ballpark price. Wait for more responses.

Get the rig inspected by a trusted mechanic if you are not able to do it...i you are, i would check for uneven tire pressure, then check tie rods, pitman arm and center-link, hub bearings, then if all have cleared, id suspect the steering box. Good luck with the purchase!!!

Get the rig inspected by a trusted mechanic if you are not able to do it...i you are, i would check for uneven tire pressure, then check tie rods, pitman arm and center-link, hub bearings, then if all have cleared, id suspect the steering box. Good luck with the purchase!!!
SORRY, IF YOU ARE ABLE TO DO IT...ALSO HAVE THE ALIGNMENT CHECKED TOO...:beer:

SORRY, IF YOU ARE ABLE TO DO IT...ALSO HAVE THE ALIGNMENT CHECKED TOO...:beer:

I would expect all those are either needs tighting or replacement. I think the rig's overall condition is worth it. He accept the offer. Original owner and no accident with a straight body! Picking it up tomorrow!

I'm finally going to get my dream car - the lockers:crybaby:

Congrats and the addiction starts ;)

If its hardly been wheeled (no undercarriage bends/nicks) , its probably just stuff encountered during baselining - bearings, tie rod ends, knuckle studs !, bushes, steering damper, alignment... other experts can comments further :D

Congrats and the addiction starts ;)

If its hardly been wheeled (no undercarriage bends/nicks) , its probably just stuff encountered during baselining - bearings, tie rod ends, knuckle studs !, bushes, steering damper, alignment... other experts can comments further :D

Thanks! It's never seen the dirt according to the current owner! I can't wait for the first trip out to Amador county end of this month!!!! :D

Looks like the cruiser finally getting some action :D

When my cruiser arrived, I immediately changed all fluids, belts, overhauled front axle and whacked on the largest trans cooler b4 heading out... Russian roulette's not my game :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom