Purpose of this Brake Clip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed a slight squeal from the front brakes (DS) when driving the wife's 100 the other day, so I figured the pads might be starting to get low. Picked up pads and prepared to work on these today. Pulled the front wheel, and saw this clip that obviously wasn't right. It was the clip that runs from pad to pad. It had obviously not been re-attached properly by the PO's mechanic and over time had been ground down and explains the squeal as the worn end had been getting ground down on the outer edge of the rotor (not on the surface, thankfully).

So, my questions are: what functionality does the clip serve, how important is it to run this clip (obviously Mr. Toyota put it here for a reason), and is this a dealer only part?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pics:
1 - Pic of the PS brake, with the clip properly installed.
2 - Pic of the clip from the DS that was worn down
3 - Another pic of the worn clip
DSC00948.jpg
DSC00953.jpg
DSC00955.jpg

Its an anti-vibration/squeal spring/device. I just installed new pads right before our DV trip and mine was broken. The local dealer didn't have them so I didn't have much choice but to run it without. Couldn't tell the difference. But they're only about $5 IIRC so I'd replace them IIWY; I intend to...

You may be able to get them at autozone. Can't remember if they sell them seperately, or in a kit with the shims...

Good deal, thank you. I appreciate the help.

Its an anti-vibration/squeal spring/device. I just installed new pads right before our DV trip and mine was broken. The local dealer didn't have them so I didn't have much choice but to run it without. Couldn't tell the difference. But they're only about $5 IIRC so I'd replace them IIWY; I intend to...

Do you know if these are only sold separately or would they come with a new shim kit?

They are sold as each. Here are the photos and part #'s
Front Brake Pad Parts.001.jpg

Left mine off as well as it was destroyed.

Had the same squeak problem and talked to my mechanic after also thinking I needed new pads... He said that you're fine to run without it, so I wouldn't worry about it. If the noise doesn't drive you crazy then I'd just replace it next time you have your wheels off instead of going through the trouble for just a squeal

I know it's an old thread, but it answered one of my questions and brought up a new one as I found the "anti-rattle spring" broken on the DS today while doing a power-steering fluid flush. So I don't need it...and I'll order one to replace next time the tires are off.

However, spressoman's reply here brought up a different question. I don't appear to have the pad retainer clip (which spressoman identified as "Brake pad/pin anti-rattle plate"). Is this necessary? Perhaps this was added in the later model years?

I have a 1999 Landcruiser.

Also, is there any reason where I should replace the pins, pad retainers or anti-squeal shims the next time I'm in there replacing front pads?

...Also, is there any reason where I should replace the pins, pad retainers or anti-squeal shims the next time I'm in there replacing front pads?
Check the pins for straightness/runout. If they are bent, they keep the pads from freely moving in/out against the rotor. I had one that I needed to replace last time I did pads. If they are clean and straight enabling pad movement, you can reuse.

I would say YES you need those pad anti rattle plates. They're what keeps the brake pads, anti squeal shim, and metal backing plate all sandwiched together on that side of the brake pad. Other side of the backing plate has this "clamp" inregrated on it already.

As for a need to replace all these parts when you do your brakes - I would at least replace everything but the squeal shims since they are all made from thin sheet metal and need to be tight to keep things from making noise. Most likely the tabs on the back of the retainer plates have at least 1 of 4 broken off (these grab onto the inside edge of caliper pistons) A few months ago I took my brakes apart because of squeal and needed 3 new backing plates because of the tabs. got a brake fitment kit at Napa and it had EVERYTHING but the plastic(?) squeal shims for $20. When I bought new stuff from Beno the shims cost more than the pads and the install kits didn't even have those "M" clips that this thread references - probably because everything from Toyota is a separate part number - but I had these clips from Napa since I didn't install them last time.

I would say YES you need those pad anti rattle plates. They're what keeps the brake pads, anti squeal shim, and metal backing plate all sandwiched together on that side of the brake pad. Other side of the backing plate has this "clamp" inregrated on it already.

As for a need to replace all these parts when you do your brakes - I would at least replace everything but the squeal shims since they are all made from thin sheet metal and need to be tight to keep things from making noise. Most likely the tabs on the back of the retainer plates have at least 1 of 4 broken off (these grab onto the inside edge of caliper pistons) A few months ago I took my brakes apart because of squeal and needed 3 new backing plates because of the tabs. got a brake fitment kit at Napa and it had EVERYTHING but the plastic(?) squeal shims for $20. When I bought new stuff from Beno the shims cost more than the pads and the install kits didn't even have those "M" clips that this thread references - probably because everything from Toyota is a separate part number - but I had these clips from Napa since I didn't install them last time.

Thanks for the good information. I saw the "kit" on a search of Autozone's website, so I'll get a call into Napa and go ahead and buy it. I'm guessing the shop I had replace the rotors/pads at 133k miles (now at 188k miles and front pads still have life) conveniently misplaced those when they put everything back together.

I'm a brake replacement noob, but could the anti-squeal "M"-shaped spring clip act to separate the pads when you let up on the brakes, so they don't ride on the rotors? Just did my front brakes and the PS spring clip was busted and those pads were more worn (by about 1 mm) than the DS pads.

I'm a brake replacement noob, but could the anti-squeal "M"-shaped spring clip act to separate the pads when you let up on the brakes, so they don't ride on the rotors? Just did my front brakes and the PS spring clip was busted and those pads were more worn (by about 1 mm) than the DS pads.

As I understand it, under normal operation, the pistons actually retract into the calipers slightly as the brake pedal is released. That keeps the pads from rubbing on the rotor constantly.

I don't think the "M" clip has enough spring in them to push the pads apart, but it could definitely be related to the uneven wear you saw. They're more for "anti-rattle", like their description says.

Ok, while installing new brake pads today, came across this dilemma. I'm installing aftermarket Hawk LTS pads, but it seems to have shims pre-installed, whereas the factory pads to not. Should I still be looking to install the shims here on the aftermarket pads?
iYo09va.jpg

np8KkVq.jpg

Hi guys, hate to revive an old thread, but am curious about the thin retaining clip pictured above (part number 90468-05131). I am in the middle of a brake job and missing this part. My old brakes did not rattle or squeal. Do I need that retaining clip, or am I okay with out it? It's a cheap part, I would just have to wait a little for it to arrive. Thanks!

When I bought our LC that part was not on there. Nor were any of the springs actually. Truck still performed ok but brakes were noisy. I put all the OEM clips and springs back in place ASAP and that definitely eliminated any squeal.

I don't think you'll have issues leaving it out tho. Especially if you are in a pinch and need the truck back on the road. Will still stop just fine.

Re that M-shaped spring. When I rotated the wheels I found this clip/spring looking just like in the first post here, ground away by the rotor. Didn't notice anything else tho. Replaced it with a Napa part - but it didn't really fit. Had to reshape the spring quite a bit to make it kinda work. Piece of junk. Get the OEM part.

I'm bumping this thread because I have been chasing a rattle from my passenger front tire area. It would sound like a marble in a soup can going over small bumps. It was driving me nuts. I discovered the caliper was missing the anti rattle clip. I didn't think it was the clip so I keep looking and looking. Today a was kicking the tire and you could hear it rattle. So I had a buddy apply the brakes and I kicked the tire. Rattle was gone. Release the brakes and it rattled again. So I stopped by the dealer and ordered all new parts in the pic above. 35 bucks for all the parts to do both front calipers. Cheap price for my sanity. Lol without the anti rattle clip it's really loud and sounds like something major. Hope this helps someone it the future. Aloha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom