Black Smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I've got a question about my Canadian 85 BJ70 3B (no turbo). From another post black smoke should not be present and is caused by:

· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Dirty or worn fuel injectors
· Over fuelling
· Faulty turbocharger, or turbo lag
· Faulty or dirty exhaust gas recycling (EGR) system
· Incorrect valve clearance
· Incorrect fuel to air ratio
· Dirty or restricted air cleaner systems
· Over loading the engine
· Poor fuel quality
· Cool operating temperatures
· High altitude operation
· Excessive carbon build-up in combustion and exhaust spaces

So far, I have done the following to try and correct the issue:

1. I've had the timing adjusted
2. I've replaced the injectors (they were super old anyway)
3. I've adjusted the fuel adjustment screw as far forward as it will go (and, oddly, have not lost any acceleration)
4. I have a clean air filter.
5. I don't overload the engine.
6. Fuel quality is fine.
7. Operating temperatures are generally NOT cool
8. I live in Calgary, AB - not especially high
9. I've run a Diesel Purge through it.

I'm thinking that I am kind of left with valve clearance as an issue.

A) Can someone explain to me why valve clearance would change in an engine? B) Is this something that can be seen to easily? I've been doing a lot of maintenance on this vehicle since I inherited it and if it's relatively easy to do, I will do it, but if you guys recommend taking it to a professional I will do that.
C) Is this a yearly maintenance type of thing?
D) Aside from the bullets I found above regarding black smoke causes, can you think of anything else that would cause black smoke? What about a dirty sedimenter - I honestly doubt my father-in-law ever saw to it in the hundreds of thousands of kms he's put on it - something I am going to see to tomorrow.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help and advice!

3. I've adjusted the fuel adjustment screw as far forward as it will go (and, oddly, have not lost any acceleration)

Not familiar with the 3b fuel pump, nor am I an expert by any means but I am thinking maybe you adjusted your max speed screw, which would not do anything but limit the max RPM you can achieve.

Valve clearences are an easy adjustment.

Glow plugs, compression test?

This is somthing i have had on 2h running rich. I think the 3b has the some inline pump. In the back of the pump {govner] housing is a leather diafram. If this has a hole in it they run rich. On the back of the pump is a rubber or clear hose that runes to the inlet manfould, pull it off the inlet manfould end and suck on it, it should hold vacume, if it dont the diafram has a hole in it. Have a look on TOYDIY.com and you will see the part.

Hey! Thanks for the responses!

Well, I'm not sure what the actual name is for the screw that I used, but I'm pretty sure it's the right part (I think the max speed screw is just a bolt located under the gas pedal). The thing that I turned required me to loosen a nut, then turn a puck-like cylinder which either brought the arm attached to the fuel pump towards the stop or start/run positions accomplished by the EDIC.

At least from what I've been able to find, black smoke is a result of over-fueling (maybe there are other causes that I am missing?), so I agree that I am over-fueling, the question is why? Because I've adjusted the fuel adjustment screw all the way forward (toward the stop position) I was thinking that the over-fueling was not a result of that, but perhaps a result of valve clearance.

This is somthing i have had on 2h running rich. I think the 3b has the some inline pump. In the back of the pump {govner] housing is a leather diaphragm.. If this has a hole in it they run rich. On the back of the pump is a rubber or clear hose that runes to the inlet manfould, pull it off the inlet manfould end and suck on it, it should hold vacume, if it dont the diaphragm has a hole in it. Have a look on TOYDIY.com and you will see the part.NO 22303-47010,it fairly easy to change.

That screw is the right one, it has a pin in the end that stickes out about 8mm and it is spring loaded and rests against the stopper arm. If the sprimg is broken the pin stickes in and it richens up the mixture. Screw that screw in more untill you start loosing power then take it out half a turn at a time until you get power and not to much smoke.

@Aussie 25, just saw your post - it wasn't up when I started typing lol. Okay, I'll rack the diaphragm up as another thing to look into!

Thanks!

Would poor compression cause black smoke? We are talking about a HIGH mileage cruiser here.

That screw is the right one, it has a pin in the end that stickes out about 8mm and it is spring loaded and rests against the stopper arm. If the sprimg is broken the pin stickes in and it richens up the mixture. Screw that screw in more untill you start loosing power then take it out half a turn at a time until you get power and not to much smoke.

I've screwed it in as far as it goes :(

I have pushed on the pin and it springs back after I push on it - i.e. I think the spring part still functions...

Yes hi kays 350 400 thousand wont help the smoke.. On that screw loosen the lock nut and screw it in until when you drive it ,it starts loosing power. Then take it out half a turn at a time until the power comes good but not to much smoke.That is how i ajust the 2h and the 1hz.Just try that.you carnt hurt it.

Hi, thanks for your interest! No, I got super busy with school, but funnily enough I just dropped it off at a mechanic for my out-of-province inspection (moved to Alberta for school) and asked them to adjust the valve clearance while it was in. I'm going to see how that works before I take a look at the diaphragm. I'll let you know when I know!

you ask them to do a compression test while its there or do one yourself if its still smoking

Yeah, whoa! Very bad garage in Calgary here. I have 1 year old OME suspension -- it's hard as hell -- and they said on my inspection that my suspension was soft and needed replacing(that was only the beginning). In short, I didn't have them do the valve clearance -- LOL. I'm gonna take it back to my home town and have the work done. Lame sauce. Oh, avoid Kensington Auto :)

Yeah, whoa! Very bad garage in Calgary here. I have 1 year old OME suspension -- it's hard as hell -- and they said on my inspection that my suspension was soft and needed replacing(that was only the beginning). In short, I didn't have them do the valve clearance -- LOL. I'm gonna take it back to my home town and have the work done. Lame sauce. Oh, avoid Kensington Auto :)

You might want to do a Customer feedback survey...
Calgary, Alberta T2N 3L9 Customer Survey

Hhahahaaha;)

Amazing what you can find on the net.

Hey if you are still in Calgary, try contacting these guys, they are awesome and pick there brains a bit
4 WHEEL AUTO WHOLESALE
8807-63 Ave.
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
T6E-0E9,

Toll-Free: (866) 468-2570
Phone: (780) 468-2570
Fax: (780) 468-2579
NOTE: All prices quoted are in Canadian Dollars

Dan@4wheelauto.com

chris@4wheelauto.com

don@4wheelauto.com

Thanks for the help everyone! Yeah, I deal with 4-wheel a bunch for my parts. I'm kinda thinking I'm gonna just park the Cruiser and buy a cheap car to get me through my clerkship at school and once I'm done and actually working, I can really start to fix up the ol' girl.

SOLVED! Okay so here it is. Keep it simple, right. The bar that the fuel adjustment screw rests against was broken off at one point and just welded back on. However, when it was welded back on it was bent resulting in too much fuel! We just bent it back the right way and, presto!, no black smoke :)

Now, I know a lot of you have been sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to hear what the compression is on the now 756000 kms I have on this sucker. Wait no longer:

1. 410 psi
2. 400 psi
3. 400 psi
4. 390 psi

I couldn't be more pleased right now. I was going to park it until I was done school if the compression was poor, but now I don't have to!

Yay!

Anyway, thank you everyone once again for all your helpful advice.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom