Anyone ever put IFS on a 2WD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if this has been asked but I could not find any info.

Has anyone ever swaped and IFS onto a 2wd truck?

I have been pondering if this is possible and how hard it would be.

You may ask why the :censor: would you do this. Here is why.
  • If I did the work it is cheaper than finding sas parts. I Just need a parts junker which can be found for cheap, $500 or less. Compaired to around $1000 for a cheap SAS.
  • It is going on a camper which will not be wheeled, I just want 4x4 instead of 2wd for muddy roads etc. (bad 2wd tranny is being replaced with a 4wd tranny so one thing leads to another.)
  • I could sas my 92 and use the front IFS.
  • Better ride than the solid axle.
  • Just running stock 28-29" tires.
If anyone knows more info, links, has opinions let me know.

Also should I use a 86-88 IFS or a 89-95 IFS? Any differences. I think the brakes may be better on the 3rd gen but not sure. It is going on a 22re 1984.

I remember reading somewhere that first generation 4runners are different and second gen are the same. I would guess it is the similar for the mini trucks that relatively match up hardware wise. My guess is your camper is more akin to the first gen 4runner which would mean they are different. Possibly you could graft the whole front of the frame in.

OK, found it: 4x4Wire's TrailTalk Forums: IFS A-Arms: Differences between 2WD and 4WD

Use this string in a google search "toyota IFS 2wd 4wd differences", obviously without the quotes. You aren't the first one to ask that question.

Well I have another post for my camper which is what this swap would go on so it is not as easy as a stock pickup to pickup frame swap but beleave me I have though about it. To getting it looking and working really good it would need a new front clip, door hinges, door seals, quiet and better working cab heater, windshield squirters, power steering, 4x4, cd player, speakers, 4wd tranny swap.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, bought it for cheap for a poor man's camper and have used it as is for 2 years now. I take it out fishing every week or two during the summer.

Norcalborn did this to his 4Runner, Wimpy.

I believe it was a conversion from 2WD Auto to 4X4 Manual. I read through his build thread once before he removed it, and it was pretty cool.
PM him, or maybe he may post up here with advice.

How about just buying a junker IFS'd truck with a blown motor and swapping frames? Even in Alaska I bet it couldn't cost too much money....

X2!
This would probably be the preferable mod.

I haven't seen the thread, but weren't 2wd 4runners built with 4wd front IFS?

that could just be it.
It's been about two years since I've seen his thread, and it's now gone.
That would also explain the "PreRunner" lingo used in them newer trucks.

Bottom line, I think a frame swap would probably be the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom