craigslist 86 FJ60 -super clean - Oregon (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice looking rig....

If not $13k...then what price would you think is appropriate.

This company always runs craigslist ads in the NW with overpriced cruisers. They do a good job of polishing though.

to me, it shows they are hiding nothing ...
not interested in a gasser but it does look nice.
no clue... but I can see oil leaks and look at the axels... so if those two things are good enough for pictures imagine what you are not seeing

to me, it shows they are hiding nothing ...
not interested in a gasser but it does look nice.

I have to agree with Wayne on this one. The seller could have had it steam cleaned and hidden most of the flaws and as far as the price is concerned you can always lower your price however it is more difficult to raise it. Is a 2011 F-350 worth $50,000....hardly, yet Ford keeps building them and someone keeps buying them.:)
.......1978HJ45

Yup. That's cleaner than most 80's that I see around town (10 year newer vehicles). IMO, they'll get at least $10k out of that. Is it worth that to me? No, but someone will pay $10k or so for that before they'll spend $5-7k on a clapped out rig.

Nice wheels and hub caps too.. :(

Definitely a nice clean specimen. It amazes me though, landcruisers sell for a lot more than I'd expect sometimes, except when I want to sell something.

asking price is not selling price.

i have seen many VERY EXPENSIVE Land Cruisers over the decades that doesn't mean the seller got anywhere near what they were asking.

I wonder...

...what might actually happen to the market of our cruisers if folks on these boards actually supported higher ASKING prices vs. sh#%ting all over them...not sure why we are making such an active effort to drive down the prices of rigs we all own.

Of course, I am a lurker so take my point with a grain of salt.

...what might actually happen to the market of our cruisers if folks on these boards actually supported higher ASKING prices vs. sh#%ting all over them...not sure why we are making such an active effort to drive down the prices of rigs we all own.

What might actually happen if cruisers were listed for a reasonable amount of money (i.e. a 60 series should be less money than an 80...unless it's VERY clean)? Well...for starters, I'd own a 60 AND an 80.

What's keeping me from getting a 60? Two years ago, I spent $7,800 for my '97 with 130k. I'm not spending anywhere near that for a vehicle that's 10 years older, has 100k miles more, and is in worse condition.

If it weren't for internet message boards, Land Cruisers would have to be listed and sold for what kbb/edmunds/NADA show, instead of some perceived mark-up derived from the "rarity" of the vehicle.

here is what i have seen over the last 3 decades in Canada.
in the 80s Cruisers were plentiful and cheap. you could buy a nice running 40 for $1500. once the 70s came out the 40s were old school and those that wanted to stand out picked up a 70. 70s were expensive. 60 series fetched a decent price since cruiser heads with families needed them and the 80 series had not shown up yet.
then the 90s hit, 40s were still plentiful and cheap. even the diesels could be had for a decent price. the 70s became a rarety since the units were sold in Canada for only 3 years. they held their value, even POS fetched big money. the 60s came down in price since the Cruiserheads with money went gagga over the new body style.
mid 90s and the 60s were dirt cheap and the 40s started to come back up in value as more and more were beat to s*** and scrapped and used for parts. diesel or gas didn't matter. the 70s fetched even more money.
2001 hit and the influx of JDM vehicles drove the value of CDM vehicles into the ground. the purchase of a rusted out, bondo'd POS became only valuable to those that couldn't adapt to RHD mentally or for those looking for parts.
2009 and the JDM took their first hit from ICBC report, the Yen went up, the market in Canada was flooded with Land Cruisers and the value of a JDM started a downward slide. REAL clean units still fetched a decent dollar but most consumers wanted cheap transportation. the CDM 70s and 60s started to move upward in value as more and more Stateboys wanted the diesel.
2011 finds the gasser 40 worth nothing, the diesel 40 in rough shape worth transplant value, diesel 40 in real clean shape still fetches decent dollar, gasser 60s are cheap, very cheap, gasser 80s have no value unless having a diesel transplanted in and diesel 80s have come way down in value. diesel 70s still have a strong market and the most expensive Land Cruiser in Canada right now is the HZJ77.

in a nut shell, diesel Land Cruisers are still fairly rare and fetch a much better dollar than their gasser counterpart. the JDM (second hand in Canada) has come down to a price that the average wage earner can find and buy. a "new" JDM is huge money due to the price of the Yen, the fuel surcharge. The sales of JDM vehicles has dropped off mostly due to insurance companies refusing to insure them.

how much is a Land Cruiser worth? as much as the buyer is willing to pay.

I like this thread. Crushers you make excellent points. I will add my 2c. I think also, at least in the states, the housing bubble created an artificial market for a lot of things. Cruisers being one. If one chose to use their house as an atm, then paying 20 to 30 grand for a cruiser isn't problem. People had more perceived money than brains. So, they are now stuck with something they overpaid for and need to sell. Everything here became one big speculator market, look at muscle cars. I think now that the economy crapped the bed, prices have become reasonable in most cases. As far as book value. Chuck that out the window in most cases. I love it when sellers post "nada". If you read the description it will say value based am original, unmodified example ( or similar). Not jacked up four feet, with tons of mods. I am still in the market ( still looking at that bj71 Crushers), and my biggest problem is finding one that doesnt have a small block, overly modded etc..will I pay 13 grand for a 60? No, but god bless the one who does. Will I spend 45 grand on a 40? no, thats insane. Do people that do make it harder for us buyers, yes. every Tom, Dick, and Harry that has a cruiser thinks they have gold sometimes. IMO, prices will stabilize, it looks like to me from my search 10 14 for a clean 40 ( not mint etc) is the magic number. Diesels, there arent alot for sale here, so thats hard to judge. But less=premium over the same conditioned gasser.

What might actually happen if cruisers were listed for a reasonable amount of money (i.e. a 60 series should be less money than an 80...unless it's VERY clean)? Well...for starters, I'd own a 60 AND an 80.

What's keeping me from getting a 60? Two years ago, I spent $7,800 for my '97 with 130k. I'm not spending anywhere near that for a vehicle that's 10 years older, has 100k miles more, and is in worse condition.

If it weren't for internet message boards, Land Cruisers would have to be listed and sold for what kbb/edmunds/NADA show, instead of some perceived mark-up derived from the "rarity" of the vehicle.

Yep...I actually agree with this response and the others. The funny thing is, while this was the post I popped in on, this trend appears to be most valid in the 80 world, where I have been looking for a while now. If someone dared to advertise a price which was not a steal (even at KBB)...there would be dozens of people giving the "steal" price as guidance of what they should be selling for. Now, this is okay...except for the 1,000s of folks across the continent who might use this board and others for the first time to determine what that cool rig they saw driving down the street is worth.

worth is a relative term I know...and for the record I dont think anyone, including the seller, intends on selling this for $13K...but wouldn't it be nice if that is what the market valued it at 'cause they are so cool? Imagine then the value of your 80?

Maybe its just that I hate the fact that my pristine (really) FJ60 which I bought from the original owner back in 2003 carries as much value as 2001 Honda CR-V. And no, I never plan on sellling it.

Cheers Fellas

BJ71 are nice units, almost bullet proof. the 13BT is a bit "sensitive" on the thottle so off road takes a bit to get used to.
rear seat is useless because of the leg room but if you can score the mechanism from a CND 70 then it becomes more useful. i think it was MOT that was selling a slider kit for the seat.

other than that, sweet ride.

the soft top with a removable hard top conversion is the best of both worlds ... in my eye anyway.

the mid wheelbase still has rear seat issues but that extra 11" makes a big difference.

sadly, you boys will have to wait another 4 years for the 4 door version of the 70 series.

for those that can have patience and the wallet some REAL NICE units are out there.

your comment about the muscle cars hit home last night, i grew up in the era and have a soft spot for the Mopar. a couple years back i was doing some off the cuff shopping and the prices for the car i want was WAY up there.
last night on Jackson they were selling for half the money. when a boom goes bang the EVERYTHING drops in value.

cheers

Price bashing is a favorite past time on this Forum which is somewhat amazing since 95% of the bashers would not by the Cruiser if it was listed at $1.00. I would seem more appropriate to question the selling price via a P.M. ( and only if you are seriously interested in the vehicle). As far as a price is concerned, supply and demand will determine what the market will stand.
1967 Plymouth GTX (426 Hemi) sold new for probably less than $15,000 but today a mint version can command upwards of a hundred grand. ( yes I agree this is a poor example but it does demonstrate supply and demand).
My .02 worth ......1978HJ45

a 67 GTX for that price is a steal of a deal ...

70 cuda rag with 426 manual can still fetch 250K ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom