Battery Retaining Bar. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for the OEM battery retaining bar and j-hooks for my '97 LX450. Anybody have any spares that they want to sell or possibly donate? :D

Or maybe a website I could order from?

It would be super easy to make one out of some angle aluminum, plus then it would never rust. The J-type battery hold down bars should easily be found at most auto parts stores.

x2, made mine out of steel 3/4" angle iron and painted it. Easy.

You can order new parts from your local dealer or CDan or any vendor if you want to keep it stock.

not to hi-jack here, but I will.... kinda related .... where do the J hooks.... hook ?
Got my battery in with a bungee cord :grinpimp:

I looked, and I must be blind.

not to hi-jack here, but I will.... kinda related .... where do the J hooks.... hook ?
Got my battery in with a bungee cord :grinpimp:

I looked, and I must be blind.

For either side:

Fender side, there's a hole in the inner fender that the hook goes into.
Engine side, there's a hole/slot in the resin battery holder that the hook goes into.

Hooks lay approx 45 degrees to the vertical. You can see the factory bracket etc:

ds.jpg

+ YES, you can make your own with aluminium, here's mine from my dual battery install a whole bunch of years ago...

psbat.jpg

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
I think I have a set of the OEM bars only - PM me if you want them (I made aluminum ones after upgrading the battery)

:::

While we're on the subject, anyone know of a good method to repair the battery box and to keep it from ripping further from the J hook? I tried to glue a nylon washer on the box with some super glue that was supposed to be good for hard to glue plastics; didn't stick at all.

While we're on the subject, anyone know of a good method to repair the battery box and to keep it from ripping further from the J hook? I tried to glue a nylon washer on the box with some super glue that was supposed to be good for hard to glue plastics; didn't stick at all.

I'd cut some aluminium plate, drill some holes through it and the case and pop rivet it. Use a dremel to 'slot' the aluminium using the slot in the resin case as the template. Basically plate the slot & surrounding area of the case. 1/16" thick should be 'good' enough.

Spray black if you want it to 'blend' in .

cheers,
george.

Good idea.

I'd cut some aluminium plate, drill some holes through it and the case and pop rivet it. Use a dremel to 'slot' the aluminium using the slot in the resin case as the template. Basically plate the slot & surrounding area of the case. 1/16" thick should be 'good' enough.

Spray black if you want it to 'blend' in .

cheers,
george.

I like this idea too. Might do this while I'm building the retaining bar. Knock it all out in one shot.

Thanks George for the clarification ... gonna head out there and take a look after I eat this pastrami sandwich , mmmmm....

While we're on the subject, anyone know of a good method to repair the battery box and to keep it from ripping further from the J hook?

I laid plastic mesh cloth (screen window material) in place through and on both sides of the j-hook slot and then used JB weld to bond it to the battery box--basically the same method as fiberglass repair.

I laid plastic mesh cloth (screen window material) in place through and on both sides of the j-hook slot and then used JB weld to bond it to the battery box--basically the same method as fiberglass repair.

Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom