Is there a difference in rear coil springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me if there is a difference in term of length for the rear coil springs?

I just ordered two (Part # 48231-6A690 (left) and 48231-6A680 (right).

For some reasons, I just have the impression that the spring on the gas tank side should be longer. Both parts are identical in length and have been tagged with the correct part numbers but the descriptions show "Spring, Coil RR" on both. Now if I am guessing right, RR stands for right rear. Then shouldn't the other one say LR?

Now if there is no difference in length, then is there a way for me to tell what's left and what's right? Just want to be sure I got the right parts before tackling the job.

OK - for the parts you're referencing, it appears there is definitely a height difference.
See post #3 here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/81817-100-rear-spring-specs.html

And post #5 here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/63395-safe-ssumption-rear-springs-2004-same-2000-a.html

What's your deal, though - are you converting to standard springs? I ask b/c the if you've got a 99 LX470 as your signature says, your part numbers should be 48231-6A740 and 48231-6A730 for ahc suspensions.

So you ordered non ahc springs, and it looks like they gave you two rights instead of 1 right and 1 left?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. Yes, I am trying to find out whether I got two right spring or they are both the same. Then again, if they are the same, then why have different part #? The stickers on the springs were could have been placed by mistake ...

I checked out post #3 in one of the link and the heights for the left (504mm = 19.84'') and the right (498mm = 19.61") are not much of a difference! I will have to measure both to see if they are actually any different.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell which is the right, which is the left, based on the direction of the coils? I mean, without the stickers on those springs, how can you tell which is which?

What's your deal, though - are you converting to standard springs? I ask b/c the if you've got a 99 LX470 as your signature says, your part numbers should be 48231-6A740 and 48231-6A730 for ahc suspensions.

QUOTE]

yes, my AHC has acted up and I have been getting a very bumpy system. Based on my research, I think the 4 spheres have gone bad and instead of throwing money to fix the AHC system, I have decided to replace the suspension with stock LC parts.

Won't be home until the 23rd but I can look and see if there is any different with my stock ones. If you bought them new, how much?

I have been able to get it at a local dealer thru a mechanic friend at the wholesale prices. Left spring for $139 and Right spring for $135. The prices from Toyota-parts.com and ToyotaPartsZone.com are roughly the same but there would be the shipping fees added.

I did the measurements and the one marked as the left is actually a tiny bit (~1/16") longer. That may correspond to the specs indicated earlier ...

Regarding the "RR" denotation being on both left and right rear parts:

Evidently, major Japanese auto manufacturers such as Toyota and their parts suppliers follow the same abbreviated name convention as (the other major Japanese auto mfg I used to work for): "RR" means "Rear", not "Right-Rear".

You have to pay attention to the part number, not "RR", to tell which one is right vs. left.

Great, that makes me feel better. I just wanted to make sure I did not get two "Right Rear" shocks. The labels/stickers on the springs did show different part #s. It just the description that threw me off. I was afraid the labels could have been tagged by mistake ...

I did measure and the left one (based on the part #) is actually a bit longer so I think I may have gotten the right parts after all.

Thanks for the inputs, guys.

My OEM rear springs had two different paint colored dots on them. One side was pink, one was green. Can't remember off the top of my head which was which. Not helpful, I know...

:meh:

Actually, that's very helpful. Thanks for that because I do see green dots on both but one has an extra pink dot on it.

That's another confirmation that they both are not the same. thanks again.

for future reference which side has pink and which has green?
yeah, I'm about 2000 mi. away from my truck right now. Somewhere on here, there is a picture, but I can't find it right now -something to do with air bag installs or pics of an airbag...

for future reference which side has pink and which has green?

Both have 2 green dots on one coil and the# 48231-6A690 (left) has a pink dot and the 48231-6A680 (right) has another green dot on the next coil down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom