700-15 Firestone Military NDCC Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys just a couple questions about these tires. I'm not well versed in the bias ply field.

1) In the advertisement they want you to add a Bias Tube Bent Brass Stem. What is this used for? Do I need it?

2) Do I need to add a tube in this tire?

3) Construction : tube type 6 ply nylon. So is the tub already in there?

Anyway help would be appreciated!!!
70015FirestoneMilitaryNDCC.jpg

The "tube bent brass stem" is a tube with a bent brass stem. A tube-type tire needs a tube, and that's it.

It's not going to be a fun tire at anything like highway speed. It's probably recommended for a top speed of 45mph.

The "tube bent brass stem" is a tube with a bent brass stem. A tube-type tire needs a tube, and that's it.

It's not going to be a fun tire at anything like highway speed. It's probably recommended for a top speed of 45mph.
Fast Eddy aside from stating the obvious 'The "tube bent brass stem" is a tube with a bent brass stem.' Why would I need it? The ad doesn't say anything about a max speed?

So basically your saying that a bias tire is best for truely offroad type of driving and not good for highway/Interstate type driving. Hmmm!!! I think they look so B.A. though. But will be doing quite a bit of highway driving. Setting my truck up for more daily driving use.

1. used for a split rim or similar, you don't need it.
2. Some tires require tube. don't know if this does or not. probably not
3. there is no tube in there.

here is what the tube with a bent brass stem looks like

attachment.php

Thanks guys. The link 'Army Tires' is great.

I'm going to check these out : Cooper Courser Traction / Hercules HDT 7.00-15 30.4” OD.

Fleet Farm here I come...yeehaw!!!

I run the 9.00x16 version of that tire:bottom line....scary in wet situation,good on clay mud..on sand have to keep the rpm to prevent digging....i will buy it again ? just for a weekend rig just to show of..not for dd,they wear bad if your 40 its not aligment-low air. i been running my tires for almost 2 years cos i get it cheap not new ones. my 2 cents

Wow, I had a set of those on my M38A1 way back when I was in college. As others have said, you need to have a tube to run them. Being bias ply tires, they take a set when parked and clunk for the first few miles until they get round again. I have lots of memories of being stuck with those.

being the proud owner of 7 military vehicles i can tell you those have a cool factor,but other than that they stink.if its a summer truck you will be fine as stated above on wet roads those are danerous.

contact Specialty Tires of America their ndcc tires are not listed as needing the tubes...they also have a good selection of bias type tires...i saw you like the coopers (discontinued) they have tires very much like them...they are a very good tire company with a great customer service

STA is originally the McCreary Tire and Rubber Company

see link:

Light Truck Bias Ply Tires

I'm looking for that true tall/skinny agressive tire look that rides well on the highway. Probably nothing like that exists.

From other posts I've seen on here the BFG Mud terrain and T/A's round out the tread on the stock steelie because the wheel isn't wide enough.

I like the look of a true stock steelie with the tall/skinnys. I'll keep looking but it looks like the bias ply tire is the only way to go. Those super swampers are sweet. I wish they still made them too.

I like the look of a true stock steelie with the tall/skinnys. I'll keep looking but it looks like the bias ply tire is the only way to go. Those super swampers are sweet. I wish they still made them too.

:( Not great on the freeway either, but at least reasonable. These are 31x9.5 radials.

attachment.php

I imported this FJ43 and spent hours trying to decide whether to do the original 16 split rims with the 7.50 x 16 mud tires. I did it and so far am very pleased. Here is what I know so far:

1. My theory was well an FJ40/43 does not ride all that great in all honesty anyhow. This truck with 4.11 gears won't be running over 60 mph anyhow.

2. The look is important (people love the look so do I). Allowed me to stay with standard suspension and shocks but still sits tall on 32 inch 7.50s.

3. I drove the truck from 8000 feet down to 5000 feet elevation on a curvy good condition and WET Colombian mountain rode. Despite very aggressive tread the truck steers well and stopped well (all new shocks and 4 new drums). I was careful but again a 30 year old truck you should drive accordingly.

4. on hot concrete the tires do stick a bit but once they get moving they are fine

5. I ran this truck 55 mph in Florida and drives fine. Not a race car in the curves for sure (but again an early Land Cruiser 4x4)

6. The ride is not that bad either.

Having said all that yes a radial handles and rides better, but I think for a fun truck that gets 5000 to 10,000 miles a year I think the original bias plys are fine. Depends what you are looking for.

FYI the tires are Lima Cauchos. Made in Peru and Colombia. were recommended to me by Colombian tire guy. Love them. Not available in the USA but I imported the truck with 5 new tires. We will see.
IMG_1927.JPG

I hope this helps somebody. I am doing a 61 FJ40 soon with original 15 inch wheels and found a guy on here did 7.00 x 15s. Looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom