New Rules for Classic auto emissions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know that some car clubs have been working on that for at least 10 years. I hope it makes it through, it will make life for us with the old rigs much better.

Would be nice. I have collector car insurance on my 55 and I pretty much violate all the rules. Would be nice if ths passes, so I can be fully legit.

Would be nice. I have collector car insurance on my 55 and I pretty much violate all the rules. Would be nice if ths passes, so I can be fully legit.

I have all but given up on the whole collectors car insurance thing. It seems that you either have to know an insurance agent that is will to play along, or you have to take your chances with a "roll of the dice" online.

I just want to drive my cruiser, it shouldn't be this damned hard to do so.

I have all but given up on the whole collectors car insurance thing. It seems that you either have to know an insurance agent that is will to play along, or you have to take your chances with a "roll of the dice" online.

I had no problem getting this setup on my FJ 55. My insurance agent is into old VW's, and has the Collector plates on several vehicles, so he is very familiar with them. He said he would be glad to help anyone with a Landcruiser get setup. Being an officer in a LC club makes it simple: I am always out recruiting membership when ever I drive the Piggy!!!

I had no problems getting my 55 insured. I am not supposed to use it off road, for utility or camping. Which is pretty much all I use it for. But at least I am covered driving around town.

I have a stated-value insurance on my cruiser - not too expensive

each year, Randy works his magic and it passes emissions just fine :D

I have a stated-value insurance on my cruiser - not too expensive

each year, Randy works his magic and it passes emissions just fine :D

Your second line says it all though. No one should have to "work their magic" to get it through emissions. Mine has always passed emissions, but there have been times when things have needed tweeking.

Even worse is dealing with the idiots who work at the emission testing facilities. I was actually going to be refused testing once because I "must have brought the wrong paperwork" as I was obviously driving a Jeep. I had another guy tell me that I had a fake VIN plate because it didn't have enough numbers on it.

We spend a lot of time and money keeping our rigs on the road and running well. We are not the problem with it comes to pollution.

As for the stated value insurance, that is fine and all, but it does nothing to do away with the need to take a stupid emission test.

I had no problems getting my 55 insured. I am not supposed to use it off road, for utility or camping. Which is pretty much all I use it for. But at least I am covered driving around town.

I'm sorry, that in and of itself is dishonest. That is my problem with the whole collectors insurance route, at some point someone has to be less than honest. It might be the vehicle owner, or the agent, but I have a hard time with that. Don't get me wrong, I am no saint, and will go the collectors insurance route if it weren't as much of a PITA as emissions testing, but the fact remains that our rigs are not the problem.

Dishonest maybe, but what do I care. I won't ever make a claim on it. Don't even lose sleep over it.

Sent an email to Sen Al Melvin.
Also forwarded the link to a friend who rebuilds old MOPAR vehicles.

Do you actually drive your rig less than 1000 miles in a year? I have had many months when I have driven well over that. It is just another of those things that make the collectors insurance not seem worth it. While hassle to go through emissions, at least there are not restrictions on what I can use my rig for.

I'm sorry, that in and of itself is dishonest. That is my problem with the whole collectors insurance route, at some point someone has to be less than honest. It might be the vehicle owner, or the agent, but I have a hard time with that. Don't get me wrong, I am no saint, and will go the collectors insurance route if it weren't as much of a PITA as emissions testing, but the fact remains that our rigs are not the problem.

I don't see how that's dishonest.. I insure my cruiser with regular insurance for 10k miles a year. Its got a v8 passes emissions no problem. I put maybe 3k on it last year. I have never had them call me, not once and offer me a refund since I drove 7k miles less than they based my policy off. So whats the difference if someone goes over the stated amount, Under the same business procedure used by the insurance company the customer shouldn't be offering to pay more.
Just my opinion.

I hope this passes though because that would be awesome.

I don't think I really made my point, as I said, I would do the same thing if it seemed to make sense, but to me it doesn't seem like it is any less of a hassle than just taking the rig through emissions.

Also, the mileage thing that came up, one said that it was 1000 miles a year and the other was 10000 a year. That is a huge difference.

Update on SB 1324: It is stuck in committee over in the House. The environmental folks are offering amendments.

Contact your state legislator.

I don't think I really made my point, as I said, I would do the same thing if it seemed to make sense, but to me it doesn't seem like it is any less of a hassle than just taking the rig through emissions.

Also, the mileage thing that came up, one said that it was 1000 miles a year and the other was 10000 a year. That is a huge difference.
Howdy! My Collector's policy does have a stated value, so I suppose it is the same type as everyone else has. I think the mileage limit is set by the insurance company, not the state. I think mine is 5000 per year. If your rig is NOT your primary mode of transportation, but it is marginal on passing smog, then this is a good option. Or, if ya know your rig won't pass smog, but it still runs good, or if ya had a really bad experience with the smog droids trashing your precious rig the last time they tested it.......
I do hope they pass this new law, but I don't really expect them to. It has been bouncing around for at least ten years or more. John

Your second line says it all though. No one should have to "work their magic" to get it through emissions. Mine has always passed emissions, but there have been times when things have needed tweeking.

. . .

As for the stated value insurance, that is fine and all, but it does nothing to do away with the need to take a stupid emission test.

"magic" meaning an oil and plug change and a valve adjustment :doh:

my only gripe about the emissions testing is that they moved it from December to July on my truck :mad: nothing more fun than emissions in the dead heat of summer :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom