6" lift says previous owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Still somewhat new on here. Few post but many searches. While under the truck trying to figure where the coolant is coming from, I decided to check out the lift. I'm running 295/75/16 would like to run 315/75/16. Yes the wheels are 16's from a 94 and mines a 91. Previous owner did that.

Here's what I got:

OME N74L Shocks
OME 863J Springs

Here some quick pics I took. They're horrible pics but here they are for tonight. Front sits lower. By looking at pics of all the rigs on here, I don't think I have 6". Don't know if its because of sagging over the years or the lift was never truly a 6". Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks
FJ 80.jpg
FJ 80 2.jpg

Do you have any spacers over the springs? or any body lift?

As I recall, J Springs alone could give anywhere between 3.5 to 4 inch lift in front, and up to 5" in rear depending on load?

I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed specs.

I will have to check on the spacers. Tell you the truth I'm going off pics on internet and looking under the rig at the same time so I don't know exactly what to look for. It has all been on for many yrs so its hard to see whats not original due to all having road grime distributed evenly :)

I've had and been around other trucks with lifts. Most were clear as day...look how big the blocks are or the shackles...or horrible looking body lifts are obvious. I have no point of reference on the fj. Anybody in Knoxville, TN, familiar with these beast?

Last edited:
hard to tell, but looks to be about 4" lift,

I'd say that is about 4 inch of lift.

Going off the line from the top of the rims across to the sills.

I had a 4 inch lift in a 91 model and with 15 inch rims, the top of the rims was pretty much in line with the bottom of the sills.

It could well have been a 6 inch lift originally. Poorly build springs can sag that much.

Something else to remember is that early 80's sit about 1 inch higher than the later ones. So 4 inch springs in a 91 will be about 3 inches of lift, where as it will be 4 inches in a 95 model. (it may actually be the opposite.) The change over was when the 1FZ and 16 inch rims came in (mid 92)

If thats what the tag says then thats what you got.....J springs as mentioned 3.5-5'' depending on load and build. First pic looks like it is nose down a bit in stance like my J springs were with no weight. Second pic looks much more level like he added a spring spacer to the top of the coil.

Your old chevy lift knowledge will do you no good here. No leafs and blocks and shackles.
Look at the front coil and follow it up as it winds to a stop in the coil bucket. Is there a spacer (metal or usually rubber) on top of the spring and under the coil bucket? that would be your spacer they speak of.

Id say it was an uninformed seller or a pitch....
I'm sure his girlfriend is unimpressed by his ability to estimate size too :D

great coils though... I would consider a spacer up front or swapping to a slee 4'' front coils but I prefer the level stance so It is by no means necessary.

Has it been repainted? repaired? Just curious about the white inside of the wheel well

If thats what the tag says then thats what you got.....
Id say it was an uninformed seller or a pitch...

I'm sure his girlfriend is unimpressed by his ability to estimate size too :D
great coils though... I would consider a spacer up front or swapping to a slee 4'' front coils but I prefer the level stance so It is by no means necessary.

Has it been repainted? repaired? Just curious about the white inside of the wheel well

Seller was very upfront. We worked out a trade on my e39 BMW. Both of our cars were put on a lift and inspected by mechanics I know very well. The sellers brother inlaw worked at a toyota dealership and picked up after the customers lease ran out. The father inlaw and brother inlaw love cruisers. The brother put the lift on, but used it as a dd. Never been wheeled hard.

Yes it is not level. That is something I want to do asap. I don't like how it looks. White inside wheel is from a spray put on to help prevent rust or any other wear and tear.

It will be my dd but it will see some trail riding. Not much rock. More ruts and mud. I want to put 315/75/16 on now with a tire similar to km2. I want to get suspension taken care of first so it looks good and clears the tires. Right now I can't drop the money to do it completely right, but I do want to make it look better.

In the future as it become 3rd vehicle, all suspension will be beefed up and done right for a trail rig. :)

I want to put 315/75/16 on now with a tire similar to km2. I want to get suspension taken care of first so it looks good and clears the tires. Right now I can't drop the money to do it completely right, but I do want to make it look better.

In the future as it become 3rd vehicle, all suspension will be beefed up and done right for a trail rig. :)

The Lift you have is more than enough to clear 315's.
And you are in luck as COSTCO just got a batch in of the 315/75/16 KM2 at one of their main warehouses. (I just ordered 5), they were in backorder so they are a fresh batch!

5 Tires cost me around $1,500 !!!

i measured everything out and the front is 1.5 inch lower from top of fender to ground and top of tire to fender. I don't have the $ right now to redo the lift but I want to level it out for looks and to clear the 315/75/16. Any suggestions? It doesn't have coil spacers right now so im thinking that will be the easiest

Yep, coil spacers are cheap and easy. Did the PO mention anything about caster correction?

If it hasn't been done already, it might be worth looking into, especially if you put some spacers up front.

I agree with what the other have said....definatly not 6 inches of lift. The easiest way to know exactly how much lift is to measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare. I don't remember what the stock height is right off hand, but if you do a search, there a re a few posts that have it listed. That will give you a defiante measurement on lift.

And for those of you who say OME springs can't take it up 6 inches....You are forgetting about the OME competion series springs. I have them myself, OME COMP 820 front and OME COMP 823 rears and I'm sitting at 6.25 inches of lift in the front and 6.75 inches of lift in the rear. I have an arb winch bumper in front and hopefully when I am able to get a winch up front, a rear bumpr with a tire carrier and do pullout drawers in the rear, it will even it all out at around 6 inches total. Its a little stinkbugish righ tnow, but i like it.

Oops...I meant OME 420 and 423 springs.....I'm confusing myself now, lol

The easiest way to know exactly how much lift is to measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare. I don't remember what the stock height is right off hand, but if you do a search, there a re a few posts that have it listed. That will give you a defiante measurement on lift.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. As far as measuring from hub to flare, the wheels being a 16" from a later model with 295/75/16 will through off the measurement in some way. Tell me if im wrong.

Thanks again for all the info guys, it helps me out a lot. Without the forum, it's the blind leading the blind between me and some friends guessing on what to do with the 80

Thanks for the info. As far as measuring from hub to flare, the wheels being a 16" from a later model with 295/75/16 will through off the measurement in some way. Tell me if im wrong.

No it wont matter what size wheels or tires you have the distance from center of hub to bottom of flare will stay the same.

I would change the rear springs to OME "Heavy" - you don't have any weight back there and they will drop the rear a good inch and match up decently with the J front springs.

That looks like 5" of lift to me in the rear, especially since a J spring is not going to be 2.5" front/4" rear under any circumstances that aren't about excessive extra accessory weight.

You raise the front and you have a 5" lift all around - that isn't necessarily easy to deal with in terms of caster/pinion angle correction and there is zero reason for that much lift for a 35" tire.

Best idea is to lower the rear and plenty run this spring combo.

5" of rear lift, 3.5" front. Exactly what you should expect from a J spring lift with no added weight. Swap the rear coils for the heavies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom