Need help - Test Starter Relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know which terminals are #1 and #2 on the starter relay? Mine does not match the image in the manual. i have blade terminals all running the same direction. The diagram in the manual has two terminals that are in a 90 degree position to the other two.

The manual says i should have continuity between #1 & #2. If the two that are spread the most apart in the pic are #1 and#2 then they realy must be bad because there is no continuity.
IMG00501-20110402-1209.jpg

turn on macro, stand back and zoom in on the object. I have no clue what that thing looks like other than a blob of white plastic

ok try this one
IMG00502-20110402-1234.jpg

looking at my diagnostics and ESM you have a ACC relay, Starter relay and a Ignition switch. All feed into the ECM. Are you sure you have the starter relay? I could not find anything that look like yours. I will continue to look.

Your starter realy voltage should be

Starter Relay
Tester Connection Specified Condition
Starter relay (5) - Body ground 9 to 14 V

Last edited:
looking at my diagnostics and ESM you have a ACC relay, Starter relay and a Ignition switch. All feed into the ECM. Are you sure you have the starter relay? I could not find anything that look like yours. I will continue to look.

Your starter realy voltage should be

Starter Relay
Tester Connection Specified Condition
Starter relay (5) - Body ground 9 to 14 V
Yes, I'm sure. I pulled all 3 relays that you mentioned. The starter relay and the ECD relay are labled.
IMG00503-20110402-1300.jpg

If you don't have continuity than my first guess would be corrosion (but it hasn't been that long), can you pop the cap off the starter relay and see inside? Looks like it's just a sleeve over the top.

Not sure if you have this.
Thanks! ok i opened it. it's pretty basic inside and everything appears ok. However, I know these do fail and I'm not sure that anything less than a catastrophic burn out failure would be apparent in a visual inspection. The manual does say that if #1 and #2 poles have no continuity then replace the relay. So, I just need to confirm which two are numbers 1 & 2.
IMG00505-20110402-1330.jpg

From the photos and the diagram, lugs 1 and 2 are the smaller pair. The larger pair are the load lugs. There should be continuity between lugs 1 and 2 and not between the large load lugs (the pair farther apart) when the starter circuit is not operating.

bingo. Closest I can find. It's not the same relay you have, but it does confirm some things about the continuity and displays which prongs are what # and how to test.

Do you have this FSM?

EDIT: Where did you pull your starter relay? I will look at mine to verify it's the same.I cannot for the life of me and this FSM and EWD's find your relay. If I can see where you pulled it from I can narrow down in the EWD which connectors/relay sections its in and be able to give you a exact description.
Picture 3.jpg

Last edited:
I think you pulled the wrong relay... or it's mislabeled. Only relay that looks similar to yours is a ABS relay. Unless my FSM and EWD is wrong...

Red is what I think you may of pulled/someone installed the wrong relay (PO or someone or if you had one replaced)

Green is what you need to pull and what the FSM is telling me.

EDIT: Looked online and part #'s are different for 1999 and 2004 (my fsm). I think I am looking at the wrong parts lol. Now I want to go check mine

8300 relay assy, starter for 1999
28300‑46010 2uzfe..uzj100 1 $75.48

28300 RELAY ASSY, STARTER for 2004
90987‑02025 2UZFE..UZJ100 1 $79.29
Picture 4.jpg

Last edited:
From the photos and the diagram, lugs 1 and 2 are the smaller pair. The larger pair are the load lugs. There should be continuity between lugs 1 and 2 and not between the large load lugs (the pair farther apart) when the starter circuit is not operating.
Thanks Sandroad. you're right about the connections

bingo. Closest I can find. It's not the same relay you have, but it does confirm some things about the continuity and displays which prongs are what # and how to test.

Do you have this FSM?

EDIT: Where did you pull your starter relay? I will look at mine to verify it's the same.I cannot for the life of me and this FSM and EWD's find your relay. If I can see where you pulled it from I can narrow down in the EWD which connectors/relay sections its in and be able to give you a exact description.
2000 they must have changed things a bit for the year 2000. Here's the correct diagram from the FSM for a 1999.
untitled.jpg

Attachments

• starter relay.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
2000 they must have changed things a bit for the year 2000. Here's the correct diagram from the FSM for a 1999.

well poo, I guess I should of looked at the part #'s before spending an hour looking at this stuff :doh: . Maybe my posts will help someone with a 04+

damnit lol

well poo, I guess I should of looked at the part #'s before spending an hour looking at this stuff :doh: . Maybe my posts will help someone with a 04+

damnit lol
Yeah sorry 2000. But I really do appreciate that you tried to help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom