kzj78's Anyone have one and can they share (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
The new 1996 Prados are now avaialble for import into canada and the wife needs a new car. Wondering if anyone has a KZJ78 and what their impression is of the motor.

How is the longevity, fuel economy, handling for freeway and hill climbing.

Or is it better to get the the gasser, we tow a tent trailer

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Sitting back with :popcorn: & :beer: ...

~John

Awesome!

Desire is a comfortable cruise at 120Km all day with tent trailer in tow. Want a freeway capable vehicle.

This vehicle will recieve light off roading (touring mainly) May go 78 or 90 series. MY 73 will be delegated to hardcore use instead of all rounder

Cheers,

john

The new 1996 Prados are now avaialble for import into canada and the wife needs a new car. Wondering if anyone has a KZJ78 and what their impression is of the motor.

Hi Yah John.

Are you wanting opinions on the square shape KZJ78 or the Rounded shape which started in 1996...

Both run the same engine, 1KZTE but the 1996 model also came out with a V6 Petrol.

I have the square shape (KZJ78)...LWB. And very bias towards my girl.;)

When in std trim she was a good runner, little tippy...but wider tyres fixed that and a suspension upgrade, original coils in front sagged big time.. Running at 120kms all day will be pushing it a bit. Especially in hilly work.

As for towing, she would struggle abit but mine is auto....so getting the right gear selection was the issue.

It did crack a head probably due to previous owners lack of maintenance, replacement head all good for the last 150000 clicks.

My wife doesnot like driving it, as its coils all round and beam axles. Doesn't like the body roll......

She does like the newer Prado as its IFS in the front. Drives more like a car.

Cant say much more.... Will go back to my :popcorn: and :beer:....

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for that - you've helped to answer's my questions and what I've been wrestling with. Car like handling is what will keep the wife happy.

I'd like to have something with a bit more engine performance. Twelve years of owning Toyota Diesels - both turbo and NA make me pine for sport perfomance.

I am liking the 90 series gasser, I can even buy a super charger.

Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom