Painting inside of a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

I recently had the exterior of my 40 painted, but didn't have him do the inside. For resale reasons, was this a terrible idea?

It is by no means a stock 40, so definitely not one for the purists anyway. When thinking about it, I figured for what it would cost to get the inside done, I wouldn't make that back when trying to sell it.

He's not the fastest painter in the world, so I knew it would mean I'd be waiting a very long time to get it back...

Exterior is now tan, interior is still green. I guess I could tell people I was going with the camo look :meh: LOL. No pictures yet as I don't get it back until tomorrow. I am going to put it up for sale so I can concentrate on getting my other one running properly, so its worth is important to me right now...

Jonny

A couple things I would consider if I was a buyer:
-why was it repainted so recently and then sold so quickly after the repaint? Trying to hide something? Or did circumstances just change? How you explain this to a buyer may make a difference.
-if it's not stock anyway, I would say that having a different color inside and out would not be a big deal-breaker. I've been in/around 3 FJ40s in the last 3 days that are different colors inside and out. Of course, this all depends on the buyer. If I ever buy another FJ40, at this point I would probably want one that had the same color inside and out, even if it's old and faded.

Good luck with the sale and with getting your other one running well!

Before you put it all back together, get a good bedliner product like "Durabak" (no affiliation, just what I used) in a close tan color and spend a day to make it work - add value, looks good, color match not critical, awesome protection.

Win-Win if you ask me!

g'luck, Dan.

A couple things I would consider if I was a buyer:
-why was it repainted so recently and then sold so quickly after the repaint? Trying to hide something? Or did circumstances just change? How you explain this to a buyer may make a difference.
-if it's not stock anyway, I would say that having a different color inside and out would not be a big deal-breaker. I've been in/around 3 FJ40s in the last 3 days that are different colors inside and out. Of course, this all depends on the buyer. If I ever buy another FJ40, at this point I would probably want one that had the same color inside and out, even if it's old and faded.

Good luck with the sale and with getting your other one running well!

Well, because it was an ugly green that I hated :D

Wasn't 100% sure 6 weeks ago when it went to paint that I was gonna have to move it - but unless I can fix my motor issues on my other 40 myself, then this one will need to be sold.

Thank you :cheers:

Before you put it all back together, get a good bedliner product like "Durabak" (no affiliation, just what I used) in a close tan color and spend a day to make it work - add value, looks good, color match not critical, awesome protection.

Win-Win if you ask me!

g'luck, Dan.

Do you brush the durabak on or how does it work? Also, I don't want to bed-liner the dash etc...

Regards,
Jonny

You could bed line the tub, and get some color matched cans to spray the dash and other areas.

Or just not worry about it... Most wouldn't care unless you're hoping to get restored prices for it.

spray some raptor U-Pol Raptor Clear Tintable Truck Bed Liner Kit #ME-821 - eBay (item 270635223399 end time Apr-12-11 06:12:57 PDT) i just did my inside .. it was a little lighter than my paint but i do like it alot.. took a day to do and a $100.. i think it was well worth it. heres a pic
IMAG0439.jpg
IMAG0439.jpg

Like others said I would be very suspicious of a vehicle for sale with a new paint job, makes me think they put on a cheap paint job and cut corners just to sell it, and the inside not painted at the same time really seems like cutting corners. I would pay a price that assumed it needed body work and a paint job. It may have been a good paint job, but as a buyer I would assume it will have rust bubbles under the paint in 6 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom