Harbor Freight Spot Weld Cutter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of doing some rust repair on my FJ45 and needed to remove a bracket off the hard top. I tried to drill out some of the spot welds and ended up making a little bit of a mess and eventually punching through on a couple of them.

I started looking for spot weld cutters. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it as I probably wasn't going to use it much. I found that Harbor Freight had a spot weld cutter for $5. I figured for that price it was worth the shot, went down to Harbor Freight and picked up two. 3/8" Double Sided Rotary Spot Weld Cutter

They are double sided and didn't even use the second side of the first one. It worked really well. Well worth the money for how well it works. Just be careful as they cut fast and will go through both layers of metal quickly.

The only down side is that the spring loaded pin in the center tends to walk. So I ended up drilling a small pilot hole for the pin to ride in.

Just thought I would share my experience on a HF tool. For tools that I regularly use I tend to buy quality.

I have one of those also, X2 what you said, the thing chews up the weld pretty quickly and I actually went through and nearly cut a hole in both pieses of metal.

Not trying to poo on Harbour stuff, If you used A US made Lenox or Snap-on , you would look like a pro , and know how bad the knock offs are.

You get what you pay for.

VT

Ya, and look at that price! $121?!?!? Really??? Yikes.

I'm in the process of doing some rust repair on my FJ45 and needed to remove a bracket off the hard top. I tried to drill out some of the spot welds and ended up making a little bit of a mess and eventually punching through on a couple of them.

I started looking for spot weld cutters. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it as I probably wasn't going to use it much. I found that Harbor Freight had a spot weld cutter for $5. I figured for that price it was worth the shot, went down to Harbor Freight and picked up two. 3/8" Double Sided Rotary Spot Weld Cutter

They are double sided and didn't even use the second side of the first one. It worked really well. Well worth the money for how well it works. Just be careful as they cut fast and will go through both layers of metal quickly.

The only down side is that the spring loaded pin in the center tends to walk. So I ended up drilling a small pilot hole for the pin to ride in.

Just thought I would share my experience on a HF tool. For tools that I regularly use I tend to buy quality.

It looks like HF ripped off the Blair design. I am going to buy this next time I am at HF and see how it compares to my Blair. I wouldn't be surprised if the cutting heads interchange.

I JUST used a Blair cutter on my 1971 240z... good product for sure. Given that even the "good" one (the Blair) is under $20 I'm not so sure getting the HF version is worth the savings. The Blair came with a VERY sharp guide point that set itself into the metal and didn't want to walk without punching a pilot hole first.

Ya, and look at that price! $121?!?!? Really??? Yikes.

Yes, but you would look like a pro because you paid snap-on $120 to bless your Chinese junk!:eek: :hillbilly:

I have used most types and prefer the hole saw design, like the Blair/HF/etc. They cut more around the weld hardened area, making for an easier job and sometimes lasting longer.

Well I would still recommend it if you need to drill out a couple spot welds. Did the trick for me and I would buy another one.

Mark where did you finda Blair for $20? Did you have to have it shipped? How many spot welds did you cut with it before the tip dulled?

harbor freight sells junk. You may find a decent piece of equipment if you dont use it often, but anything used for more than a few times should be bought elsewhere. You get what you pay for

I agree with parts of this statement. You do get what you pay for for the most part. If I was going to be using it ALL the time I would spend the money on a nice one.

When I bought my welder I found a lightly used Millermatic 210 rather than going with a lesser name.

harbor freight sells junk. You may find a decent piece of equipment if you dont use it often, but anything used for more than a few times should be bought elsewhere. You get what you pay for

That's funny, I have a bunch of HF tools and am pretty happy with them (there are exceptions but)..

Sometimes paying more for something means you just pay more for it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom