FJ40 SBC and Lift...What do I need to consider? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.springtailsolutions.com
I am planning on doing a OME 2.5 inch lift on a 1977 FJ40 Hardtop with an SBC 350 transplant. I plan on running 33 inch tires mounted on FJ Cruiser steelies (will require 2 inch spacers). Is there anything that I need to consider as far as light duty vs heavy duty kits.

Man a Fre has a kit built up for sale below...

Old Man Emu Suspension Kits 40 Series

Shocks?
Shackles?

Any and all advice is welcome...thanks in advance!

Doc

The 350 is lighter. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/80184-sb-chevy-weight-vs-2f-weight.html

There is a lot of info about which shock/shackles to run...I made my own shackles and run Rancho shocks, but I also have the plastic seats from summit and don't care too much about the ride (my kidneys probably have a different opinion)

I think that when you need to REALLY start thinking about lift kits and heavy duty/not heavy duty is if you are running winch/ARB bumper on the front, or a BEEFY spare tire carrier with a BIG SPARE on the back....

Last edited:
There is alot of info on this subject if you search. I don't want to be the guy that says "search for it" but there is alot of info on it that can be missed by just responding to this thread.
Anyway, there are lots of things to consider such as battery placement, single or dual batteries, late model 350's have all of the accessories mounted on the front of the motor and IIRC early 327's or 283's like mine, do not have the accessory holes in the heads and block so there is a bit more work involved in PS conversions, AC, on board air etc. You will also have to wire in the motor, cool the motor and decide what exhaust you want to run such as headers, rams horns, adjust the drive line, transmission type etc etc.

thought your project truck already had a SBC????

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/447002-springtail-mpac-1977-fj40-build.html

buy whatever lift you want and put it on. that was easy.

2.5" with 33's is going to be very marginal off road with tire/fender clearance and 2" wheel spacers will definitely get you the steam-roller look, if that is what you are going after.

Pix in my ROTW week show 33X12.50X15's on 10" wheels with both a 2.5 and 4" lifts

Last edited:
Also need to think about whether you will have a winch, and what kind of winch cable (wire or synthetic) and what use you will make of the truck (fast desert roads with washboard, low speed rockcrawling, weekend driver, etc). I am using an 7 year old OME medium up front and the ride is fine, not FJ80 plush, but good enough that if I had to drive it 6 hours, I could. I have dual batteries and a milemarker hydraulic winch with wire rope, and it is still firm. I would not go heavy!

If you ever think about running 35" tires then go with a 4" lift. 33's look good with the 4" and you have the option to go to a 35 if you want. Check out Hell Creek Suspensions, Inc. for a tried and true kit. We have installed 5 kits on trucks in our club with great results. Good luck!

thought your project truck already had a SBC????

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/447002-springtail-mpac-1977-fj40-build.html

buy whatever lift you want and put it on. that was easy.

2.5" with 33's is going to be very marginal off road with tire/fender clearance and 2" wheel spacers will definitely get you the steam-roller look, if that is what you are going after.

Pix in my ROTW week show 33X12.50X15's on 10" wheels with both a 2.5 and 4" lifts

Yep, the truck had a 305 in it with the stock suspension. I think that it needs new springs etc...so I might as well lift it a bit.

I have a set of Nitto mud tires on FJ Cruiser rims just sitting in the corner that I contemplated on using. Also, I have a stock set of wheels that I can always backtrack and set it up with smaller tires...the steamroller look is not really what I want to acheive. Time to reconsider perhaps.

Can you link me to the ROTW pics??

Doc

If you ever think about running 35" tires then go with a 4" lift. 33's look good with the 4" and you have the option to go to a 35 if you want. Check out **** Creek Suspensions, Inc. for a tried and true kit. We have installed 5 kits on trucks in our club with great results. Good luck!

Nice looking setup! I will look into it.

No plans to go with 4 inch or 35s...the wife has issues with that idea :doh:

Doc

Also need to think about whether you will have a winch, and what kind of winch cable (wire or synthetic) and what use you will make of the truck (fast desert roads with washboard, low speed rockcrawling, weekend driver, etc). I am using an 7 year old OME medium up front and the ride is fine, not FJ80 plush, but good enough that if I had to drive it 6 hours, I could. I have dual batteries and a milemarker hydraulic winch with wire rope, and it is still firm. I would not go heavy!

Considering that the SBC is about 200 pounds lighter than the stock FJ mill...I should have plenty of lee way for adding a winch and bumper....right??

Doc

There is alot of info on this subject if you search. I don't want to be the guy that says "search for it" but there is alot of info on it that can be missed by just responding to this thread.
Anyway, there are lots of things to consider such as battery placement, single or dual batteries, late model 350's have all of the accessories mounted on the front of the motor and IIRC early 327's or 283's like mine, do not have the accessory holes in the heads and block so there is a bit more work involved in PS conversions, AC, on board air etc. You will also have to wire in the motor, cool the motor and decide what exhaust you want to run such as headers, rams horns, adjust the drive line, transmission type etc etc.

Most of those considerations have been done when the 305 was installed...some of the POs (multiple POs) mods need to be corrected but overall there is already a template to work with.

I have no interest in a power steering conversion. The new motor will have a aftermarket holly fuel injection unit so the electrical should be pretty easy in that dept. Exhaust will hopefully be quiet and routed close to the frame for off roading.

I do have aspirations for Vintage air if the funds hold out!

I did search for similar topics before posting...just not a lot of specific topics covering SBC and considerations for lift kits....turns out, it really did not matter once I found out that the new engine is actually lighter than the old mill. :whoops:

Doc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom