Lift options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally have the truck and now it's time to set it up. after I finish going through the fluids and pms I want to get either a 4" or 6" lift on the LC. I have read through so many posts and the only thing I have learned is there are so many setups out there that I don't even know where to begin. So I will just lay out what my plans are and let y'all throw some recommendations my way.

Its a 93 LC with lockers. I will be doing a lot of camping throughout the country which means long periods on te roads and highways. Most offloading will be trails, but I dont want to discover something fun that I have to pass on because I'm not set up for it. This is a second vehicle to me and will really only be used every other month for camping trips. I def will have front and rear bumpers, winch front. I have a bullmastiff that will be on the trips with all the camping gear in the rear as well. I would like to run 35" AT for now and will be rehearing to 4:56 most likely. As far as money goes I got a great deal on the truck so that has freed up some extra money in the budget I didn't know I would have. So quality is the name of the game for this. I need safety and dependability. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated or pictures of the recommendation would be great. The ride quality is important but I figure I will have a decent amount of weight on the truck, and it will only increase over time. Thanks guys.

Here's some pictures of the LC ,, 1993 206k miles from Jacksonville locked. No rust and runs strong.
image-3724327268.jpg
image-3191835665.jpg

Keep in mind you do not need to go big with the lift to fit 35's. I would get keep the lift lower (not 6") for what you describe, it will have benefits on the road and trail. make sure you add up all the weight you plan to add to the truck and then pick the springs from there. With it a non DD you can getaway with having the correct springs for the load as likely you will never drive it unloaded.

I plan on the same setup tire wise but will be going with a OME 2.5" (850/860) lift for now and after I add on the bumpers, sliders, carrier and drawers I will be going to 850J/863's with L shocks. But I also plan on using my truck daily so I have to compromise over all spring load with the 90% of the time its unloaded.

At what point do I need to start worrying about brake lines, and steering needing to be adjusted?

3"+ of lift, brake lines become stretched, but those aren't hard to replace.

Have you read Slee's tire vs lift article?
Try to hook up with some local cruiser heads. Maybe you can drive a couple of vehicles with different lifts for comparison.

Thanks for the tips guys. From what I've read throughout the forum 4" seems to be the better of the two. I guess I'm not getting any extra ground clearance with the 6" over the 4" and I imagine a lot more headaches come along with the 6" as far as steering linkage. If I went with a OME 4" kit, I take it that it will come with everything I will need to have it driving safely?

If I went with a OME 4" kit, I take it that it will come with everything I will need to have it driving safely?
I don't believe the OME 4" kit has everything.

I'd suggest looking at the Slee 4" bolt in kit: Slee - Toyota 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Suspension It's quite complete.

I suggest the rear heavy duty progressive springs if you'll have heavy loads. I'm glad I got them. They're needed when all four of us head out on a trip.

So i have a question, and not to hijack the thread, i am actually picking up my LX450 on Friday and was wondering some things along the same lines. Where would be a good place to buy the entire setup? A good place and possibly the cheapest price? The slee is a little out of my budget although it seems like it has everything. Does OME have a complete setup? I saw on a website for lifts that someone was running 4" fronts and 3" rears. Any thoughts on that? Also what is the difference on the OME 3" HD suspension setup vs the 3" HD setup with LTR shocks besides almost double the price?

Again i apologize if i hijacked the thread but my questions are along the same lines and was actually gone ask almost the same questions in a new thread. Thanks guys :)

There is a significant price difference between a 2.5" and 4" lift due to the additional cost of having to rework some suspension/drive shaft geometry at 4". Slee's kit will keep the truck as true to stock steering as possible at 4" of lift. Many people don't go that far but it is a compromise on the street if you don't. (I just started an argument there) Read Slee's article linked above. Its worth the time but now getting a little dated.

2.5" will clear 35's and does not require much other than springs/shocks. For what you've described I think you'd be very satisfied with a 2.5" lift. Plus it will free up a lot of cash for other goodies. Like a fridge which is really nice for camping trips. Many will run the longer shocks with the 2.5" springs to gain axle drop. You'll need longer brake lines and bump stop drops if you do that.

Running a 1" longer spring in front will level the truck when unloaded. Or remove the "stink bug" But if you often carry a lot of crap I would not got that direction (person opinion) I want my truck to remain level when loaded.

With that big dog you need to follow my link below for a cargo barrier :D

Dimiscus, you should attend the Rising Sun club meeting next week in Denver. It would give you a lot of examples of modified 80's in person all in one spot. Plus the opportunity to speak with the owners.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
There is a significant price difference between a 2.5" and 4" lift due to the additional cost of having to rework some suspension/drive shaft geometry at 4". Slee's kit will keep the truck as true to stock steering as possible at 4" of lift. Many people don't go that far but it is a compromise on the street if you don't. (I just started an argument there) Read Slee's article linked above. Its worth the time but now getting a little dated.

2.5" will clear 35's and does not require much other than springs/shocks. For what you've described I think you'd be very satisfied with a 2.5" lift. Plus it will free up a lot of cash for other goodies. Like a fridge which is really nice for camping trips. Many will run the longer shocks with the 2.5" springs to gain axle drop. You'll need longer brake lines and bump stop drops if you do that.

Running a 1" longer spring in front will level the truck when unloaded. Or remove the "stink bug" But if you often carry a lot of **** I would not got that direction (person opinion) I want my truck to remain level when loaded.

With that big dog you need to follow my link below for a cargo barrier :D

Dimiscus, you should attend the Rising Sun club meeting next week in Denver. It would give you a lot of examples of modified 80's in person all in one spot. Plus the opportunity to speak with the owners.

Hope that helps.

Could you PM me some info about the meet? I would love to check it out. Thanks

So i have a question, and not to hijack the thread, i am actually picking up my LX450 on Friday and was wondering some things along the same lines. Where would be a good place to buy the entire setup? A good place and possibly the cheapest price? The slee is a little out of my budget although it seems like it has everything. Does OME have a complete setup? I saw on a website for lifts that someone was running 4" fronts and 3" rears. Any thoughts on that? Also what is the difference on the OME 3" HD suspension setup vs the 3" HD setup with LTR shocks besides almost double the price?

Again i apologize if i hijacked the thread but my questions are along the same lines and was actually gone ask almost the same questions in a new thread. Thanks guys :)

OME doesn't make much beyond shocks, springs, bushings, and steering dampeners (shocks) as far as lifts go. Well, at least that's what they make that is readily available...

getting a 'complete kit' for OME usually involves extra bits (bump stop drops, panhards and other rods, caster brackets, etc) from other manufacturers.

As for who has the 'best' or 'most complete' kit, just check the various retailers, all have different bundles and availabilities. Check Man-a-fre, slee, iron pig off road, metal tech, just for starters. Decide how many extras you actually desire and see who's package lines up the best. Metaltech sells a bare-bones springs+shocks 3" OME lift, if you wanted to piece together your own extras from the brands you specifically want. MAF on the other hand goes so far as to mix-match OME lifts to create things like level-stance packages.

You can get into an endless debate on what 'extras' are 'necessary' such as driveshafts, new control arms, new panhards, etc. Though some are pretty much necessary (such as bump stop drops, or brake lines and extended sway bar links at higher lifts). Caster Correction beyond simple bushings is also highly recommended on lifts above the ~2 inch mark.

The OME LTR thing is just because it comes with their fancy remote reservoir more 'extreme-duty' shocks (LTR shocks), which they charge good money for (over twice their standard shocks).

It would be a great help if any guys with 4" lifts could post what they went with for their trucks and maybe a few pics. It seems like there are quite a bit of choices and setups and it would be a real help to a few of us.

It would be a great help if any guys with 4" lifts could post what they went with for their trucks and maybe a few pics. It seems like there are quite a bit of choices and setups and it would be a real help to a few of us.

x2. Would like to have this info also.

Corbet, thanks for the link and info. I will try to make it.

Thanks for all the info guys, i feel like everytime im ready to buy, i learn more about what im getting into and hold off on the decision to re-evaluate the choices lol... great help by all though

To add to your confusion/selection choices. Ironman Suspensions are getting a good rep recently, and Icon Vehicle Dynamics is in the beginning phases of doing up a suspension for the 80 series (If you aren't in a hurry).

I still haven't decided which suspension I am going with either.

First of all welcome! Nice rig!
I know exactly where your at with this, I went through the same thing a year ago. After talking to a lot of people, and reading a lot of threads, I decided to pony up and went with the Slee 4", 4.56's, and 315s. After all the research I did I really felt like it is the best all around set up. And after a year of driving, I am very pleased with the decision. Our cruiser is very well behaved on the highway and performs superbly off road. It is my wife's DD so it goes to the school, the library, and the grocery store during the week, and class 7 trails on the weekend. I lowered the TC gears to help the crawl ratio too, but were in Utah and find ourselves in the rocks quite often. The only regret is I wish I would have gone with the heavy springs in the rear. Anyway, IMHO based on your description of what your plans are, this is the way to go.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
2010, 05-28 to 06-01 Hole in the Rock & Moab (121).jpg
2010, 05-28 to 06-01 Hole in the Rock & Moab (123).jpg
2010, 05-28 to 06-01 Hole in the Rock & Moab (137).jpg

a few more...
2010, 04-03 to 05 (129).jpg
2010, 04-29 to 05-01 (37).jpg
2010, 04-29 to 05-01 (175).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom