4 Runner Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I work with a guy that just bought his first Toyota, '95 4 Runner.
He cant get the rear hatch glass down. When he tries with the key or dash switch it moves just a little bit.
Is there a common fix for this? What should be the first thing he should look at? Motor? He claims when he bought it that it worked fine.

Me and captain have been partying for a bit, so bear with me... (fxxx you its monday!)

First and second gens are notorious for rear glass problems. Moving a bit and stopping is a bit wierd though. I say open it up and check the lube status. sounds like the switches work and motor works though. My window gets slow when the battery gets old.

now back to sunny...

Mine works fine. Thank you

Cheap ass 4skinner junk.

no doubt. Im still crossing my fingers on getting an 80. I just have to harden the fxxx up first.

Do you have what it takes, John?

Ask yourself; can I do the endless posting it takes on the 80 boards
to figure out the ash tray mod?

Can you remove all the running boards, mud flaps, bumper skirts and such
that is required to wheel & then put them back on for the ride home?

Are you willing to wheel every snow mound in the mall parking lot?

These are just a few of the things yyou need to take into consideration

Check with other 80 owners. Its not just a cool rig, its a life style

Do you have what it takes, John?

Ask yourself; can I do the endless posting it takes on the 80 boards
to figure out the ash tray mod?

Can you remove all the running boards, mud flaps, bumper skirts and such
that is required to wheel & then put them back on for the ride home?

Are you willing to wheel every snow mound in the mall parking lot?

These are just a few of the things yyou need to take into consideration

Check with other 80 owners. Its not just a cool rig, its a life style

No, hense the necessity for hardening.

You forgot that I have to carry my 275/75 radial mt's in the back, to drive 1 hr to the park and swap out my highway tires when I get to the park. (Ive seen that....by a board member....ill slightly hesitate to mention who.)

There is a guy on the 80 board from AZ that carries a pair of pruning shears in his truck for when the bushes get too close. He will stop, get out of his truck and trim the bushes.

I s*** you not.

To be fair, he usually "wheels" his 100.

I wheeled with a Jeep guy that did the same. Came to a low hanging branch, he jumps out with a saw, cuts the branch and wheels on. :rolleyes: Come lunch time he tosses his grill on the hood to cook lunch...:hillbilly::hmm:

Nick

Wow

That's just too fxxxin weird to not be true

I know I ain't got what it takes to own one

Come to think of it, Joe did ask me to get out a coupla times to
move branches out of his way. I just thought it was so he could see the trail better
(Im lying about that)

Around these parts, we wouldn't get very far on the trail if we did that

What's the ash tray mod? So bringing my cooler/grill and cooking a steak for lunch wouldn't be cool?? I HOPE it snows enough that there are some parking lot ice mounds to climb b.c I sure don't want to pinstripe my 80 on the trails. Do you believe someone had the balls to door ding my classic 80 right on all my perfect pinstripes and across the big #3 on my door. Damn mall parking lots.

Last edited:
I have seen the lower window run felts bunch up at the top causing the glass to move a bit then stop. They're not expensive. Lack of lube would cause this in the 1st place. That may have been on a 1st gen 4-runner, can't remember, it's been a few years.

second gens like to do that...ask me how I know. But whether its binding or not, the window crawls. I plan to open it up and clean and lube everything. Its been doing it for about 5 years....so I should get to it sometime before the apocalypse.

My window goes up & down fine

Just sometimes I gotta shut the tailgate 2 or 3 times to
activate the proper switch that let's it go back up
Gonna look at that & clean & lube stuff while I'm in there

My window goes up & down fine

Just sometimes I gotta shut the tailgate 2 or 3 times to
activate the proper switch that let's it go back up
Gonna look at that & clean & lube stuff while I'm in there

You gonna baseline your tailgate? Good man right there, knows his s*** if you ask me!:D

My yellow top died recently and im not interested in trying another one, again!

I picked up a die hard platinum (same battery as an Odyssey). All kinds of things actually work/work better now. Including the rear window which rolls like new, on a batt that has been sitting on a shelf for x number of weeks!

Not one issue with my yellow top. It cranks over the 40 every time. Then again, I'm not running a movie theater with it either. Must be the owner.

Ive had 2, both sucked.

Optima's suckage is common knowledge, and industry standard since about 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom