towing withe a fifth wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am contemplating flat towing my 80 behind my 36' fifth wheel to Colorado:cool: soon. I was going to put it on my flatbed but it will to much tong weight for my 5er.I think I will fab up a two bar to my arb bumper ...
what do ya all think?:grinpimp:

i know that it is not legal in some states to tow a trailer with a vehicle attatched to the back like that if you had a self powered rv that would be fine . secondly flat towing a 80 will cause damage unless you disable the axles somehow IE: remove driveshafts

In California you would have to have a Class A License with a "Double Trailer" endorsement.

With your overall length you may be required to have a Commercial Class A with a doubles endorsement. I think the overall length from front bumper to the rear most bumper is 57' or 58'. This applies to the tow rig and trailer. As Eurotech mentioned, I do not think it is legal in California to pull a trailer and a vehicle but two trailers is doable with the proper license.

Adding up the GVWR of everything combined would put you into the Commercial Class A.

towing

I used to do this all the time with my 23' boat and was over the legal length but never had any trouble.I did not think the towing a vehicle would be any different.My buddy tows flat his Cherokee and a 4 place jet ski trailer behind hi mooter home he is all so over the length with no sweat.Dos it make a difference if it is a truck or a trailer you are towing?I will remove the drive shafts and would it make any difference if I put lock out hubs just for towing purpose only:meh:. I do know the laws are different for recreational vehicles.But just not sure just what they are i think the length is like 65' max.:steer::steer::steer::hillbilly::hillbilly:

In California you would have to have a Class A License with a "Double Trailer" endorsement.

With your overall length you may be required to have a Commercial Class A with a doubles endorsement. I think the overall length from front bumper to the rear most bumper is 57' or 58'. This applies to the tow rig and trailer. As Eurotech mentioned, I do not think it is legal in California to pull a trailer and a vehicle but two trailers is doable with the proper license.

Adding up the GVWR of everything combined would put you into the Commercial Class A.

I asked a CHP officer the question on overall length in california and he didn't seem to sure. I believe he said 60 feet. Someone here will know.

I am contemplating flat towing my 80 behind my 36' fifth wheel to Colorado:cool: soon. I was going to put it on my flatbed but it will to much tong weight for my 5er.I think I will fab up a two bar to my arb bumper ...
what do ya all think?:grinpimp:
Watch the angle of the bars. When towing they should be level. If they they go up or down you will be putting pushing down or lifting up the rear of the 5th wheel trailer, and the opposite on the 80 when braking. The harder the braking, the greater the effect. Another thing is you may need have a way to actuate the brakes on the 80 due to it being over X pounds. There are actuators that will operate the truck brakes through the regular brake pedal. Never used them so I don't know how they work. Usually the limit for no brakes is 1000 to 3000 lbs. Obviously If you can't unlock the hubs, pull the drive shafts.

I'd bolt strait to the frame rails.

make a tow bar where d ring are
ARB D-Ring holes are on the thin and light side. It is the only thing I don't like about the bumper.

For more serious pulling they even mention in their installation manual putting on attachment points bolted to the bumper mount points. Obviously the right grade of bolts would be needed.

just as i thought they look very week.I think I will slice in and add some plat all the way the frame .wonder y the arb is so week at that spot
/:meh::meh:

just as i thought they look very week.I think I will slice in and add some plat all the way the frame .wonder y the arb is so week at that spot
/:meh::meh:
My guess is because it is a bumper primarily made to bounce roos. The d-ring holes they provide are strong enough for the occasional pull out, but they are flimsy and will bend if the pull is off axis.

tow bar

I need to get some new pics of my ARB front bumper / tow / winch and new skid plat
2011-05-23_19-10-31_648.jpg
2011-05-23_19-10-14_30.jpg
2011-05-23_19-09-08_701.jpg

new fj

did a trade for a 07 fj last night.Did I get a good deal?
My trade 2000 s10 blazer with 950000 miles Its A LS
the fj yellow loaded 80000 miles on it $21.000.00 for it
so at the end of the deal 5.5% $14.000.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom