Strange home wiring problem (mud curse?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Scott what happened with that wiring project for the car, remote starter thing??

Figured it out. My theory on the doorbell wire was correct: somehow power is getting into the doorbell wire, about 15VAC, which runs backward through the doorbell transformer to generate about 90VAC in the panel. I unhooked the doorbell power and it's still live at 15V, but the breakers are all behaving properly.

Thanks for the help to those who did, and grow a pair to those who criticized me for trouble-shooting a problem before calling a pro. I still have to install two microwaves, a dishwasher, oven, fridge, washer, dryer, and several sinks. And if I run into another problem I'm going to figure it out and get the job done. If it's a really strange problem, I'll probably ask someone with more experience for advice. WTF has happened to men that they don't even try to figure s*** out for themselves anymore?

Hey, I hear there's a sale on skinny jeans at American Apparel... you know, for real men.

By the way, how'd that remote start install go Scott?

How's that remote starter / car alarm system that you installed working?

Hey Scott what happened with that wiring project for the car, remote starter thing??

By the way, how'd that remote start install go Scott?

Back burner, so STFU about it already. I've installed and modified a wiring harness in a hot rod since then, gone to 767 school, flown around the world, designed and built a bunch of automated industrial machines, hung out with my teenager enough that he doesn't seem to mind me stopping by his house, listened to my wife, gotten back in shape, cared for a handicapped friend, gotten into and out of trouble, had a bunch of fun, lived life. I've got a house, kids, two careers, and I do my own maintenance and help others as well. I've been busy and that's how I like it, so fxxx off about the remote starter criticism unless you have no unfinished projects in your life.

Oh, and here's the hot rod at Autorama after five years of resto, pretty effin sweet, took home the Preservation Award. I don't think we'll be driving it around anymore.
2011-02-26 12.58.09.jpg

nice. did you splice a remote starter into the wiring harness?

nice. did you splice a remote starter into the wiring harness?

If he'd asked me to I would've, I put a lot of time into helping other people out, perhaps that's a fault you don't have.

If he'd asked me to I would've, I put a lot of time into helping other people out, perhaps that's a fault you don't have.

Nice guys finish last, wearing skinny jeans in a house or car fire. But suit yourself.

which fault?

incorrect use of commas? talking about how awesome i am on the interwebs? poorly attenuated sense of humour?

whichever it was, i am, guilty, as, charged.

That car looks like a piece of french automotive s***.

Yeah, it's not that attractive to me, but it's probably won more awards than any other show car. Some of the guys who worked on it are legends in the custom and classic car world, worked on it just because it's such an important car. It was really more fun to meet them and see all the other cars than working on this one. Classic Instruments redid the dash wiring completely, so not much of my work is left.

Back burner, so STFU about it already. I've installed and modified a wiring harness in a hot rod since then, gone to 767 school, flown around the world, designed and built a bunch of automated industrial machines, hung out with my teenager enough that he doesn't seem to mind me stopping by his house, listened to my wife, gotten back in shape, cared for a handicapped friend, gotten into and out of trouble, had a bunch of fun, lived life. I've got a house, kids, two careers, and I do my own maintenance and help others as well. I've been busy and that's how I like it, so fxxx off about the remote starter criticism unless you have no unfinished projects in your life.

Oh, and here's the hot rod at Autorama after five years of resto, pretty effin sweet, took home the Preservation Award. I don't think we'll be driving it around anymore.

you're like the love child of Martha Stewart and Ghandi.

Yeah, it's not that attractive to me, but it's probably won more awards than any other show car.

Ok Napoleon Dynamite! Frickin' sweet.

Classic Instruments redid the dash wiring completely, so not much of my work is left.
Clearly they were impressed.

Last edited:
not ball busting here because I really believe you're going down a scary road.....hire a fxxxing electrician, don't try to think this thing through, you're out of your realm here, hire a fxxxing electrician before something goes up in flames.

I dunno. A beer electrician might be a better bet than a fxxxing electrician. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom