What winches fit JDM factory winch bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title has it all, really.

I'm buying an 80 to replace my HJ60 and I'm going to have a look at a JDM VX Limited which has had the original winch removed by a PO so I was wondering what other winches fit in that sort of space to let me keep the factory bumper.

I've only seen pics. The factory winch bumpers Ive seen really hang out, so I'd expect you could fit anything you'd reasonably expect to want to mount. This might even include a Warn 8274, but not sure.

Not so sure about mounting points. Lots of light truck electric winches share a common bolt pattern, but not sure if that crosses over to PTO winches. You didn't say which winch, electric or PTO was originally on the truck. If it was a PTO, there may still be a driveshaft, etc in place, but that shouldn't interfere.

The original would have been an electric, most likely the Aisin 1000. If I'm really unlucky then the mounting plate may have disappeared along with the winch so I'll have to fab or buy a mounting plate too.

One concern I have is that this spools over the top of the drum whereas most aftermarket winches seem to spool from underneath so the fairlead aperture is going to be misaligned and I can see the cable sawing a nice big line up the bumper.

I wonder if it's possible to reverse the winch alignment and bring the cable over the top? Obviously relabelling the control at the same time. Is that too stupid an idea for me to have actually written down?

This is the bumper in question, I haven't got better pics at the moment.

25a4c6f1-1bd6-4ec8-9091-02756dc3171b.jpg

I've only seen pics. The factory winch bumpers Ive seen really hang out, so I'd expect you could fit anything you'd reasonably expect to want to mount. This might even include a Warn 8274, but not sure.

Not so sure about mounting points. Lots of light truck electric winches share a common bolt pattern, but not sure if that crosses over to PTO winches. You didn't say which winch, electric or PTO was originally on the truck. If it was a PTO, there may still be a driveshaft, etc in place, but that shouldn't interfere.

I had an VX Limited and the winch bumper is no bigger than the stock one I have on the FZJ80 I have now. The stock JDM winch is not a PTO, such found on the 70 series JDMs. I don't know for sure, but I don't think there will be an issue with fairlead placement (in relation to spooling from top or from the bottom).

You may want to post this same thread in the diesel section as there are many guys on there with JDM 80s. Some of them may have a better idea what aftermarket winches fit behind the stock bumper.

IMHO, it will cost more but get an aftermarket front bumper as they are sturdier and then you can do whatever you want winch-wise, rather than the other way around.

The original would have been an electric, most likely the Aisin 1000. If I'm really unlucky then the mounting plate may have disappeared along with the winch so I'll have to fab or buy a mounting plate too.

One concern I have is that this spools over the top of the drum whereas most aftermarket winches seem to spool from underneath so the fairlead aperture is going to be misaligned and I can see the cable sawing a nice big line up the bumper.

I wonder if it's possible to reverse the winch alignment and bring the cable over the top? Obviously relabelling the control at the same time. Is that too stupid an idea for me to have actually written down?

Yeah, I was definitely thinking about the PTO winch mounts, I guess because they, umm, stick out:)

Hmmm, spooling over the top may present a problem. You could try reversing the power leads to get it to spool the right direction, but where the cable is clamped to the drum may point in the wrong direction to let that work.

I wonder if the motor is on the left hand side on an Aisin electric versus on the right with most planetary winches?

Actually, looking at the diagrams in this thread it seems that the factory fairlead rollers are mounted to that front plate, which doesn't look like it's an essential part of the mount so I suppose I could just do away with it and mount any shaped hole I wanted, the bumper aperture itself looks pretty big, enough to accommodate a bottom spooler, at least.

For the sake of neatness, what winches are there that have a particularly low profile?

An ARB or TJM bumper would be nice, if only as somewhere to mount recovery points but I would have to make my own bumper, out of meanness and hubris and I rather like the factory front bumper (at least until I bend it unrecoverably :hillbilly:)

Any planetary winch will have a low profile. Take some measurements, do a little research and you should find something that will work.

There is at least one thread here by someone who installed his winch in the stock bumper. They look good and for many people, will suit their needs better.

Don't count on an ARB for recovery points. It needs to be modded/reinforced to actually use the bumper as a recovery point. I have one and am using the stock tie-down loops for now for recovery points. Am thinking to upgrade them, though, as that is not really what they're for.

Don't count on an ARB for recovery points. It needs to be modded/reinforced to actually use the bumper as a recovery point. I have one and am using the stock tie-down loops for now for recovery points. Am thinking to upgrade them, though, as that is not really what they're for.

I wouldn't use those little tabs for recovery, just that the bumper would be easier to weld real recovery points to than the stock item. To be honest my bumper would most likely be a 1/4" thick 2"x6" with a kink at each side because the 80 is pretty and I'd want to have something like a curve to it :D

The factory winch on the 80 is quite big, so several Warn winches and the like would fit in there nicely. The bolt pattern on the factory winch is totally different than any Warn, so you'd be into redrilling to make it bolt in, but space wouldn't be a concern. To get the warn to spool off the top you could mount it backwards, but I'd be concerned about the extra torque on the mounts with having the cable pulling of the top of the drum. The factory winch is braced on the front as well, so its better suited to pulling off the top. The easier way to deal with it would be to adapt the front plate from the factory winch and cut another slot down lower to mount a fairlead near the bottom. With some luck the plastic cover would even still fit.

HTH

from the pictures you can mount any winch. just mount it BACKWARDS so the motor is on the other side. It will work just fine with the cable spooling over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom