Clutch or Transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I might be acquiring a 76 40 from a friend of mine on the cheap. It runs, but hasn't driven in 10 years. Before it was parked, there was an incident where something broke, and it came all the way home in third gear, he couldn't get it in any other.

For a few years prior, it had a rear main seal leak, and he just would pour new oil in, which leads me to believe the oil over time messed up the clutch, but the fact that it was difficult to get it into other gears leads me to think the transmission may have had an issue.

What do y'all think?

If it won't go into gear than it's probably the trans. If it wont move while in gear then it is the clutch.

How cheap?
Either problem is pretty easy and cheap to fix if the initial cost is right.

Oil on the clutch would cause it to slip, not stop you from changing gears. A bad slave or master cylinder would stop you from disengaging the clutch. Easy to check this if the clutch goes to the floor with no resistance the slave and/or master cylinder is/are bad. Of all the things that could cause the problem this would be the easiest to fix and possibly the cheapest.

A broken shift fork would jam the transmission in one gear. As would a number of other internal shift component failures. Used transmissions can be had cheap from guys doing SM420 or other trans swaps. Or you could do a SM420 or other transmission swap, which IMHO is a great off road mod for the FJ40.

I'm thinking $500. I'm working with him now on price since I actually some some set aside now.

I'm thinking $500. I'm working with him now on price since I actually some some set aside now.
Wow that is cheap. What do you care if the tranny or clutch is bad - you'll end up replacing both anyway! :D

I've not got much money, so I'll want to make sure I can wheel it more or less as is :p

Good luck man. If you can get a running 40 for $500, you are DA MAN! :cheers:

I might be acquiring a 76 40 from a friend of mine on the cheap. It runs, but hasn't driven in 10 years. Before it was parked, there was an incident where something broke, and it came all the way home in third gear, he couldn't get it in any other.

For a few years prior, it had a rear main seal leak, and he just would pour new oil in, which leads me to believe the oil over time messed up the clutch, but the fact that it was difficult to get it into other gears leads me to think the transmission may have had an issue.

What do y'all think?

That before you go and purchase something that has been sitting for 10 years you should have a far better idea about what is going on with the truck, considering you are trying to get this going on the cheap.

Have you sat in the truck? With the engine OFF, can you move the transmission shifter cane between the gears? If so, does it feel like it is actually moving something?

When you step on the clutch pedal is there any resistance?

You are aware that these vehicles use a hydraulic system to control the clutch, correct?

The cheapest part of owning your Land Cruiser will be the initial purchase price.

I'll check out the shifter and the clutch pedal next time I'm up there. Its 2.5 hours into the mountains, so I only go there occasionally during the winter.

I have been inside the truck and heard it running (purring), he stopped driving it about 30k miles after the engine was rebuilt. No idea of total mileage though.

Poser makes a good point, the cheapest part of owning a Land cruiser is buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom