275/65/18 Terra Grapplers...putting them on tomorrow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does everyone think of this size and make? The NTG gets awesome reviews but you really don't hear too much about that particular size on a 100. I was thinking 275/70/18s but this is my wifes LC. I know they are only one inch taller but she does so much highway driving that I just don't think the 33'' E rated would be a good fit for her. I don't want to touch the torsion bars yet and I don't want to "stuff as much tire in there as possible". Yalls thoughts?

BTW, I got the Terra Grapplers 275/65r18s for $799.26 out the door. Mount, balance (+ rotate lifetime), stems, taxes and alignment (1 year all the alignments you want :rolleyes:).

If yall have pics...please post. Please let me know before I pull the trigger, guys.

THANKS!!!!!

I got 285x65x18 Trail Grapplers but next time I think I am going for narrower set but try to keep close to 33 or slightly over...for less rolling resistance on highway. Plus I like tall skinnies

That is a great tire and a great price. I was minutes away from buying them in 285/75/16 before I saw a much better deal on the BFG T/A KOs (they had 2 of the BFGs on the sales floor w/ a little over 100 miles on them).

I have read that some people are getting 40-50K miles on the Nitto TG's in a 5 tire rotation (with tons or tread to spare).

Last edited:
I have been looking hard at these but in 285-75-16. Those and the BFG AT KO's.
Post some pics when you get them on. Oh and BTW, that seems like a very fair price.

TG's are great tires. Wear well, balance well. I never had any issues with them on my Yukon, ran them in 285/75-16 and they got me through some gnarly winter storms just fine.

That said, I'm happy with my DT's as far as capability goes, and much happier with the looks...but they don't balance as well as the TG's. Slight (very slight) shimmy from 45-60. Discount tire will rebalance them anyway at the first rotation so I'll let them know about it then.

That is a great tire and a great price. I was minutes away from buying them in 285/75/16 before I saw a much better deal on the BFG T/A KOs (they had 2 of the BFGs on the sales floor w/ a little over 100 miles on them).

I have read that some people are getting 40-50K miles on them in a 5 tire rotation (with tons or tread to spare).

I don't think you need to do the 5 tire rotation to get 40k+ out of the AT/KO's... actually now that I think about it, I KNOW you can get 40k+ out of them while only rotating them once or twice :doh:

I don't think you need to do the 5 tire rotation to get 40k+ out of the AT/KO's... actually now that I think about it, I KNOW you can get 40k+ out of them while only rotating them once or twice :doh:

Sorry, wasn't talking about the BFGs, I was referring to the Nitto TG's. I updated my earlier post to clear up any confusion.

The BFGs should get 50-60K, but I probably will not keep them that long.

No you cannot! They are as quiet as stock michelins:D

It's either TG or DT's next. I would be driving my 100 to Florida tomorrow. But I don't feel like burning 15% of my KM-2's up. Those tires keep my from traveling long distance. That and that GOD :censor: HOWL

It's either TG or DT's next. I would be driving my 100 to Florida tomorrow. But I don't feel like burning 15% of my KM-2's up. Those tires keep my from traveling long distance. That and that GOD :censor: HOWL

Get 18" steelies and put some nice AT's on them! Or you know, another set of 16's...which I might be letting go of when my black LX wheels are on;)

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I was leaning towards the BFG ATs originally but one of the tire retailers couldn't get which can make negotiating impossible. I'll try to get some pics to post up too. Brock, another size that might be worth looking to is 265/70r18....they measure apprx 32.5x10.5. I like tall and skinnies too. I'm running 255/85 BFG MT km2s on my 3rd gen 4runner and I love them.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!!!!

very interested to see the NTG's on your truck, Colonel. be sure to post pics.

i am looking to replace the OEMs on my wife's 100 and am looking at 275/65/18 also. was quoted $1K+ for 4 of the new generation of the GY Silent Armor, but that seems ridiculous for a tire i'm not enamoured of. it looks better than the previous generation, i.e. more aggressive, and is reportedly quiet (good for my wife), but...

yah man, please post some pics.

Just bought a 99 cruiser with the 16'' wheels and am agonizing over upgrading to a 18'' 275/60/R18 AT. I like the newer model cruiser stock look and may go offroad half a dozen times a year...not too often.

yah man, please post some pics.

Just bought a 99 cruiser with the 16'' wheels and am agonizing over upgrading to a 18'' 275/60/R18 AT. I like the newer model cruiser stock look and may go offroad half a dozen times a year...not too often.

Go with 285/75/16s. You'll fill out the wheel wells, add over an inch in ride height and have more tire between the wheel and the road than with 18s. Basically, it will be the same circumference as what you are thinking about doing with the 18s.

LJ_24 said:
No you cannot! They are as quiet as stock michelins:D

Mine make considerably more noise the the michelins on previously. It's not bad or annoying, but to say they are as quite is just wrong.

Go with 285/75/16s. You'll fill out the wheel wells, add over an inch in ride height and have more tire between the wheel and the road than with 18s. Basically, it will be the same circumference as what you are thinking about doing with the 18s.

that's the dilemma I'm struggling with. The lady I bought my rig from did a great job keeping it maintained and clean, minus the break dust build up on the rims, which has all but permanently stained the rims in a few large spots. With a little sanding and some elbow grease, I could probably clean them up but I'd need to remove them to do it right.

It's a vanity/personal preference issue to go with the 18 wheels on factory tires. I really like how the 18's give a bolder more stocky (as in strong) appearance.

May just go with the 18's, clean the 16's once I have them off, then at a later date buy a more offroad type tire for them.

:meh:

Mine make considerably more noise the the michelins on previously. It's not bad or annoying, but to say they are as quite is just wrong.

Are you sure? I had michelins, mickey thompsons, then Nitto TG...all were the same to me

or maybe I dint realize the noise until it was mentioned haha I'll have to check for that now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom