Another carb cooling fan question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '80 FJ40 carb cooling fan isn't working as the manifold temp sensor is gone. I'm not sure where the sensor ran from or to. Is the sensor in picture 1 for the carb fan? The wiring diagram for the '78 shows it to be a light blue wire with a black stipe which I'm unable to find. There are, however, a bunch of plugs by the fan which I am assuming went to emissions stuff which has been removed (Picture 3). Anybody agree with me? The plugs in picture 2 seems to go together, but I can't find them on the wiring diagram and nothing seems to happen wether they are connected or not?
Thanks for any help.
uno.jpg
dos.jpg
tres.jpg

the first pic is the water temp sender
I think it's the one in the second pic, single wire green connector.
you don't need a sensor, you can just ground the wire and everytime you turn the engine off the fan will run for half an hour.

I ground the green wire in photo #2?

the blue wire with the green connector end, that went to the fan sensor, which just grounds the circut.
the red wire with the white connector should go to the connectors on the brake master, underneath.

Last edited:
Looks the same as my 79

Has anyone checked to see if the sensors are still available? The part number comes up online.
82222-90303 Wire, carb fan temp sensor
9.48 89423-60020 Carb Fan, temp sensor
Apparently, the sensor was also used in 88-90 as an air intake temp sensor.

On a '78 it's under the exhaust manifold, behind the tail pipe, straight across from that green connector. The jumper wire has a fabric heat shield.

YEP. It's in a weird spot, hanging off a bracket from the manifold. I don't think you'll need a new sensor. Usually the wires got fried or that little fuse under the dash blew.

On my '78 it is mounted on a bracket that mounts to the intake manifold. This item is most likely a thermocouple and if you can determine which series (K, J & T are the most common) it can be replaced. Not the best photo, but it shows how the bracket mounts to the right side of the intake manifold.
Thermocouple Mount.jpg

Sorry about my ignorance, but what where is the curb cooling fan is located. Could somebody post a pic? Did 77 models have it? Maybe this is the reason my 77 had a difficult hot starting.

thx/d

Sorry about my ignorance, but what where is the curb cooling fan is located. Could somebody post a pic? Did 77 models have it? Maybe this is the reason my 77 had a difficult hot starting.

thx/d

if you look at the original post the third pic shows it in the upper right, it attahces to the cowl and sucks outside air in thru the louvres on the side and blows it onto the carb area.

not sure of the years but there was an earlier design, might have been cali specific?, where the fan sat near the front bib and blew are back towards the carb.

Last edited:
It's grounded

the blue wire with the green connector end, that went to the fan sensor, which just grounds the circut.
the red wire with the white connector should go to the connectors on the brake master, underneath.

After reading this, I grounded the blue wire and still have no luck with my cooling fan running. I know the fan works because I was able to get it to only work once. Any other suggestions?

I put a switch in my truck and turn it on when I'm running around town and know that I'll be starting it up within 30 min. to an hour. In many cases I've left it on most of the day when doing a lot of running around with the :princess:

I've forgotton about it a few times and the fan has run for 4-5 hours. If you don't have a good battery that could certainly be a problem. I'm running an Odyssey with no problems. I've never had luck figuring out how to get the fan to only run for 30 minutes. I went to buy a sensor from Toyota, it's still available-just not the mounting bracket and it was $160+ for just the sensor. My switch from Radio Shack was $1.99. I can make do without the sensor :) Put my money into Bilsteins and new OME leafs instead.

Good luck :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom