alignment issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluecruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
My truck has pulled to the left for a long time on acceleration. I just attributed to AWD and torque steer. However, up until I got my new tires it would then track straight.

I took the truck to the local dealer who cater to our club and are really knowledgable about Land Cruisers. After the initial alignment, the specs were as close as possible to what they should be (I have the printouts). However, the truck still pulls left even after acceleration. I brought the truck back to them and they rotated the tires 3-4 times thinking it could be a tire issue. They also pulled off the rear control arms to check bushing thinking they may be so worn it could affect the steering. They even had their body/frame guy check the truck and he could not find any mechanical issues with truck. They made some further adjustments to help compensate for the pull to the left, but it still pulls and they are out of ideas.

Anyone else have issues like this? FWIW, I went from 295/75/16 terra grapplers to 295/70/18 trail grapplers. That is the only recent change. BTW, this dealership has done my alignment before and it was perfect.

thanks

switch your tires side to side.... could be ply separation!!

doh.. just fully read your post.... they tried to figure that out... I got nothing

Are your lower control arms bent at all?

Are your lower control arms bent at all?

Not bent at all...I wonder if the mounts being all bent up could be it...? They look pretty bad but I don't think they are affecting the actual positioning of the arms.

After the initial alignment, the specs were as close as possible to what they should be (I have the printouts). However, the truck still pulls left even after acceleration. I brought the truck back to them and they rotated the tires 3-4 times thinking it could be a tire issue.

Two anal points:
1) you can have alignment within spec and still "off" b/c the tolerances allow for it. That being said, if you are only having this issue when accelerating, maybe that's an indicator that it's not alignment?

2) You say they rotated the tires 3-4 times but there are many different ways to rotate tires. The FSM has a section on diagnosing vehicle pulling to one side where it specifies for non-unidirectional tires to cross switch front tire and wheel assemblies left to right. "Rotating" is different from switching front tires left to right. I'm not saying they did anything wrong, but my point is that when you're trying to narrow down the behavior you want as FEW variables as possible. Taken literally, if they rotated all the tires more than once etc, who knows what they ended up with.

Anyhow, definitely sounds tricky. I would take it to some other respected shops until someone can figure it out. I don't know enough but the fact that you're only pulling on acceleration should help narrow it down a bit.

Take a look here: Correcting Steering Pull
torque steer vs. steady pull vs. bump steer.
If you really have torque steer, take a look at their description and suggestions.

Look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom