Another Black wheel thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FullyLitLED

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Not much to share. Decided to start painting the wheels since we have been getting 70 degree weather here in San Jose, CA. Pictures were taken at night but I applied the final layer while the sun was out cos apparently that is "optimal" when painting.

I started on 2 wheels and hope to finish all 4 by sunday. Not yet set on what semi gloss, matte or rattlecan bedliner... I know for sure that the bedliner in a can is most durable and has a matte finish so that could be the one I go with.

1-LX470 wheels. Btw..Hoser, thanks for that tarp that came with the wheels;)
2-materials used to prep and paint, excluding the paint stripper and sand paper
3-wheel with primer
IMG_1319[1].jpg
IMG_1320[1].jpg
IMG_1321[1].jpg

semi-gloss looks best.
Matte looks faded and "gray" when driving in the rain.
Bedliner.... have fun balancing your wheels. I wouldn't do it.

do them red

Red rims with the new General Grabbers would look pretty cool... I'm in the market for new tires but not sure I'm that brave to add a bunch of red flair to my 100...

I've used VHT wheel paint... pretty durable considering it's out of a buzz-can. The semi gloss black is my favorite.

VHT Wheel Paint

I've used VHT wheel paint... pretty durable considering it's out of a buzz-can. The semi gloss black is my favorite.

VHT Wheel Paint

Thanks man! I actually did some searches on the (dont laugh) Jeep and Nissan forums. They said VHT has held up with the abuse of sand, mud and rocks! My new custom roof rack will need this VHT paint too I guess!

Edit: Stupid rain killed my mood to paint..but atleast the 4 wheels are now prepped and primered
IMG_1326[1].jpg

Last edited:
Started painting the first two wheels today. The other two will have to wait until tomorrow evening because the primer needs 48 hrs to cure. VHT paint

One is almost done while the other only has one coat of paint. I've been productive, Idk whats going on lol

I really dont know why they look scratched up in the pictures...they look flawless in person.

Paint has a glossy finish, should I clearcoat them anyway? Or will they be just as susceptible to scratches?

Edit: 3rd picture is two of the wheels finished
IMG_1327[1].jpg
IMG_1328[1].jpg
IMG_1329[1].jpg

Last edited:
that's pretty shiny for VHT. I used flat black VHT and turned out WAY to dull for what I wanted. I applied a Matte Finish coat, which give it a bit of sheen but not too much. I went for the finish in between what you have now, and the flat VHT I had.

Also, either Bulls or Celtics to meet the Evil Kobe Empire at championship. And D. Rose likely to get MVP.

that's pretty shiny for VHT. I used flat black VHT and turned out WAY to dull for what I wanted. I applied a Matte Finish coat, which give it a bit of sheen but not too much. I went for the finish in between what you have now, and the flat VHT I had.

Also, either Bulls or Celtics to meet the Evil Kobe Empire at championship. And D. Rose likely to get MVP.

I know, needed it to match the glossy TJM;)

Also...yes Drose will win MVP! But kobe will get his sixth ring:)

Edit: Curing before the clear coat! Mounted by tuesday...hopefully:steer:
photo (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice LJ! What are your plans for the caps? Red I hope!

BTW, do you run your T-Maxx much? I have two Revos - a 3.3 Nitro and a Nitro I converted to LiPO powered electric (freaking screams!) plus a Slash VXL.

Looks nice LJ! What are your plans for the caps? Red I hope!

BTW, do you run your T-Maxx much? I have two Revos - a 3.3 Nitro and a Nitro I converted to LiPO powered electric (freaking screams!) plus a Slash VXL.

No red this time! hahah I cant handle the insults anymore lol

I do not have the tmaxx anymore! I have an axial scx10 with a 70 series toyota body on my workbench as of now;)

But with welding lessons, making a low profile rack and school, I have almost no time to play and buildup the RC crawler:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom