Gear Drive on a 350? Opinions! Which one! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im installing a new remanufactured 1992 tbi 350 and am thinking of putting on a gear drive to give it that sweet windy sound. If so, whats considered a good brand to use?? Are the $$$?

tbi and gear drives no likey each other. It can mess up the knock sensor.

I have the gear drive with my TPI system, no problems. Made by Erson, but it's the quiet drive so it's a different windy sound.:D

"I don't even know what that means" -Buster Bluth

You will get sick of the gear whine in short order.... I would not go with a gear drive for timing.
Double roller timing chaing and matching steel gears.

If the block has ever been line bored do not install a gear drive unless it is designed so that is not a factor or unless it comes with an undersize intermediate ("idler") gear or gears.

If you're running the stock Toyota running gear I doubt the additional noise from a geared SBC is going to be all that noticeable. But if you're running an automatic or a more modern transmission and transfer case, you'll bring back memories of your old running gear. And people will take notice. Mainly to wonder if there is something wrong with your rig.

Be aware that drive kits that do not use intermediate (idler) gears or gears (so that there is only a crank and cam gear) are set up to run a reverse rotation camshaft. That's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

For a street engine, especially one that's not in a hot rod, I would stick to something like a Cloyes Tru-Roller timing chain.

Oh, and food for thought... A timing chain uses less power than a gear drive, as it has less friction.

Im installing a new remanufactured 1992 tbi 350 and am thinking of putting on a gear drive to give it that sweet windy sound. If so, whats considered a good brand to use?? Are the $$$?

Gear drive,.....all the high school kids will LOVE the sound, and you will too, for about an HOUR !!!! :bang:

Have you ever spent a day on the trail in a '40 with a whining gear drive in a SBC. Ever spent 10 days in a row on the rail in a '40 with a whining gear drive in a SBC?

I have... repeatedly... I HATE IT!

It is f'ng miserable and not at all "sweet" or "Cool"

That damn drive is coming out unless the whole engine does.

Trust me, you do not want to go that route.

Mark...

Theyre outdated really. Most kits use idlers so youre fine there but with how nice and durable modern timing chains are Id use a true double roller instead. Ive got one on a blown big block el camino. Its much different from real blower whine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom