wrong steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

myquestoyota

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I picked up this steering box at the swap meet to start assembling parts for my mini-truck power steering setup. I was going to check this forum one more time to get the proper years' box but my laptop was on the fritz. The guy said it was the right box and that he had gotten it for the same swap but changed his mind on the direction he wanted to go. Said it was a 4-Runner IFS box but I don't remember the year. Anyway, I get it home and compare it to the ones in the forum pictures and it doesn't look right. :bang:

Can this box be used for the "scout style" conversion?
100_3375.jpg
100_3378.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know you need a 1979 - 1985 solid axle power steering box. As you said that is an IFS box and I don't think it will work.

You may be able to use that box for a 'Scout style' conversion, but not a 'minitruck conversion'.

You also need a 4x4 (only) '79-85 minitruck PS box. That looks like an IFS box, but I'm not super familiar with those. If it is, there are usually more people who want those for crossover steering with a SAS than want a true solid axle minitruck box. So, you may be able to trade for what you wanted.

Anything can be made to work if you have enough time, talent or money, but the IFS box is not the easy way. You need a scout Saginw or an FJ60 box for the easy way. On the IFS box, the arm faces the wrong direction to use and if you flip the arm, it will turn the wrong direction.

Anything can be made to work if you have enough time, talent or money, but the IFS box is not the easy way. You need a scout Saginw or an FJ60 box for the easy way. On the IFS box, the arm faces the wrong direction to use and if you flip the arm, it will turn the wrong direction.

That sounds like a good theft deterrent! Probably find it close to where they stole it.
Thanks for the info, I will find the right box and hopefully find a good home for this one. I'll post it in the classifieds. I'm all for a nice simple conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom