seized bolts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought this was interesting. Seeing as I'll be drilling out a couple broken studs in my exhaust flange tonight, seemed fitting...

Even tho I lubed them with mystery goo, heated them and then split the nut on the one I could reach...freakin thing still sheared.

Well, did that to one anyways, but couldn't reach the one in back, so I sorta figgered fxxxit, it's gotta come off anyways I'll just snap it too.

thankfully all the bolts came out of the head...cuz that's a world of suck when they break.

Swiped this from another site...

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break
out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective
test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque
required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.

Note: The "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this
one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as
good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Someone told me, the best seized bolt loosener was a mix his dad used for years which was equal parts diesel, atf and iodine, sounds like it might be worth a shot.
Not sure what role the iodine plays other than to let you know if you have a skinned knuckle...:lol:

even atf/acetone is a helluva lot cheaper than all these sprays they sell that do precisely fxxx-all...

Someone told me, the best seized bolt loosener was a mix his dad used for years which was equal parts diesel, atf and iodine, sounds like it might be worth a shot.
Not sure what role the iodine plays other than to let you know if you have a skinned knuckle...:lol:

even atf/acetone is a helluva lot cheaper than all these sprays they sell that do precisely fxxx-all...

Nice info Cliff Claven. Kerosene may be better than deisel if you are going that route. It kinda sounds like Ed's Red ( Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner ) gun cleaner that Mark Whatley talks about with ATF and mineral spirits. Apparently its got to do with the sperm oil that used to be in ATF, not sure what they use instead now. I have always sworn by Kroil but maybe I'll mix a batch of this. Nice thing is the ATF left after the acetone or mineral spirits evaporates will protect afterwards.

Nice info Cliff Claven. Kerosene may be better than deisel if you are going that route. It kinda sounds like Ed's Red ( Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner ) gun cleaner that Mark Whatley talks about with ATF and mineral spirits. Apparently its got to do with the sperm oil that used to be in ATF, not sure what they use instead now. I have always sworn by Kroil but maybe I'll mix a batch of this. Nice thing is the ATF left after the acetone or mineral spirits evaporates will protect afterwards.

sperm oil you say...:hmm:

sounds like it's in the same category as Neet's foot oil, and the smal vial of oil that allegedly came from a beluga whale that came with my first cruiser...

I wonder what the results would be if you mixed in 20% Lubegard Red to the ATF/Aceton mix? I am going to have to try some - maybe mix up a small garden sprayer with it.

can't imagine it would hurt...

I have one of those little hand sprayers you pump up then it'll spray, think I may throw a batch in there and hose down some of my trucks nethers.

I always seem to have a lot of atf around, and no use for it other than as lube for drilling on the press ( works pretty well for that)

Hell, wouln't mind a wading pool of the crap to park my truck in for a few days.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom