Big PM day, have one question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just buttoned up my truck after replacing PHH, Fuel Filter, Thermostat and gasket, and the 3 major coolant hoses. In addition I did a full flush and fill with Toyota Red per the instructions on the FAQ. I lucked out and got a great deal on Toy Red from the parts guy at my local dealership: $17.10/gal! Hell that's only barely more than the Prestone.

Basically I installed one of the Prestone flush kits, and let the engine run for about 5min with water running out the radiator. Anyways, I finished flushing the system, drained the radiator, and pulled the block drain. When filling, it took one full gallon of coolant, and almost a full gallon of distilled water. I then mixed up some 50/50, and fired the truck up. It didn't take that much more coolant though. Probably 2.5gal total even after warming up. I let it run for about 10min until I got hot heat out of the vents. Now perhaps I just need to drive it then top it off when I get home, but I want to make sure that I didn't F something up and that this is normal.

Thanks in advance,

-MK

Sounds normal to me. I think the specs give a higher capacity than the cooling actually is. Just make sure you keep the overflow up to the proper level for the next fext few heating and cooling cycles. :cheers:

Perfect, thanks. I filled the overflow up to the full line, so I'll just keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Should I add through the overflow, or radiator cap?

-MK

P.S. I want to thank the forum as a whole for making taking the ambiguity out of doing things like the PHH and Fuel Filter. They were exactly what was described. A pain in the ass, but not the worst thing in the world. Being able to do the homework and figure out exactly what you're getting yourself into is half the battle, and being well equipped allowed me to complete the tasks in a relitively timely manner.

-MK

Perfect, thanks. I filled the overflow up to the full line, so I'll just keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Should I add through the overflow, or radiator cap?

-MK

P.S. I want to thank the forum as a whole for making taking the ambiguity out of doing things like the PHH and Fuel Filter. They were exactly what was described. A pain in the ass, but not the worst thing in the world. Being able to do the homework and figure out exactly what you're getting yourself into is half the battle, and being well equipped allowed me to complete the tasks in a relitively timely manner.

-MK

As long as it is running in the normal range, simply watching, filling the overflow works fine. I always slightly overfill the overflow tank the first time, some air always burps from the system, lowering the overflow level with the first couple of heat cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom