Truck runs like crap after it rains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this just started the other day. It had been raining all night and was still raining when I got up, I needed to go somewhere and when I started the truck it was missing and stumbling. Just like I had gone through a deep water hole and got the distributor wet. Well I just let it sit till the next day. Next morning its sunny out and truck fires up and is running great. WTF?

Well today I jump in the truck to go to work, same thing after its been raining all night. I thought maybe some punk kids in the neighborhood pored something down the snorkel. I checked the airbox and was dry as can be. So my only thought is maybe water or moisture from the rain is somehow getting into my distributor or is getting my plug wires wet.

So after it was running I limped it around my neighborhood for five minutes and I could gradually feel it starting to run better. After 10 min it was back to normal.

Anyone ever had a similar issue?

Bad wires and dizzy.
Next rainy night open the hood and with engine running look for sparks.

Bad wires and dizzy.
Next rainy night open the hood and with engine running look for sparks.

My plan tonight is too use a spray bottle with water and spray the wires and distributor while its running to narrow it down.

Most probably bad wires. Insulation is letting moisture in. When were they last renewed? Might be time for a general tune-up: wires, dizzy cap and rotor, and plugs. Ned

my 93 was doing exactly as yours is. It would bog and misfire but a quick tune up and now everything is fine. Turns out that the bottom screw on the dizzy was loose so that was what cause the misfire. Check to see if the bottom screw is loose on the dizzy.

Order the tune up kit from Will, ACC and once completed the cruiser runs like a champion.

Most probably bad wires. Insulation is letting moisture in. When were they last renewed? Might be time for a general tune-up: wires, dizzy cap and rotor, and plugs. Ned

Wow I had to think about this for a minute. I replaced cap-rotor plugs and wires ect about 90k miles ago:doh:. Truck is in the 170k range now. Last summer I did 02's and fuel filter. Guess its time to tune up the ol 3FE.

The same thing happened to me on my way home tonight. I was only 2 kms from my place when I noticed the truck was not accelerating when I pressed the gas pedal. It's been snowing and raining all day, and there were lots of puddles on the road. I placed it in 4L and was able to limp home at 10 kph. I haven't looked at it yet, but the same thing happened to me a few years ago after I left a carwash. I hope it's just some water in the dist.

The same thing happened to me on my way home tonight. I was only 2 kms from my place when I noticed the truck was not accelerating when I pressed the gas pedal. It's been snowing and raining all day, and there were lots of puddles on the road. I placed it in 4L and was able to limp home at 10 kph. I haven't looked at it yet, but the same thing happened to me a few years ago after I left a carwash. I hope it's just some water in the dist.

My truck was still not running well yesterday either. This morning I pulled the dist cap, sanded down the contacts/ rotor, aired it out a bit with some comp air, re-set the ECU, and now it runs fine:D. I should probably change the spark plug wires as they look original, but the Lexus dealer wants $200:crybaby:.

My truck was still not running well yesterday either. This morning I pulled the dist cap, sanded down the contacts/ rotor, aired it out a bit with some comp air, re-set the ECU, and now it runs fine:D. I should probably change the spark plug wires as they look original, but the Lexus dealer wants $200:crybaby:.

Damn 200 for wires?:censor:

had an old vw fox, that ran fine, except in/after a good rain. one gloomy day it was acting up, so after i got home i poped the hood and had a look. as soon as i got the hood up i could hear a "snapping" sound, at about the same pace as the rpms.
turns out one of the plug wires was grounding off a hard fuel line, and the snapping was the very visible arc...think of the possiblites.
new wires solved all issues.

I have had a very similar issue/issues with my truck ('92 w/ 193K). I have changed plugs, wires, fuel sock, cleaned TB, checked all cables (throttle) and even cleaned and lubed the speedo cable. I still will get the stumbling or hesitation (like a dead spot or no gas) at random times. I am changing the fuel filter today. I am sure it is the original as were the plug wires. I would take the advice of other members on this board and get OE parts.

I will post back with results...
Jake

Last edited:
I have had a very similar issue/issues with my truck ('92 w/ 193K). I have changed plugs, wires, fuel sock, cleaned TB, checked all cables (throttle) and even cleaned and lubed the speedo cable. I still will get the stumbling or hesitation (like a dead spot or no gas) at random times. I am changing the fuel filter today. I am sure it is the original as were the plug wires. I would take the advice of other members on this board and get OE parts.

I will post back with results...
Jake

Unplug the o2 sensors and give it a test drive. For whatever reason, My o2 sensor connectors don't seal very well and my truck runs like crap when it rains. Unplug them and it runs fine again...

Use dielectric grease in your O2 connections that will help you with your contact short problem.

Use dielectric grease in your O2 connections that will help you with your contact short problem.

BTDT. They are slap full of dielectric grease. It appears that the connections on the back side of the plug are not sealed properly. Once mine dry out, they are getting a coating of FIPG where the wires go into the connector(My sensors are a month old FYI).

Matthew, what is FIPG? I think my sensors are not sealed properly as well...

Jake

Jake

Form In Place Gasket - It is a black sealant that toyota uses. Essentially the same thing as RTV.

Jake

Form In Place Gasket - It is a black sealant that toyota uses. Essentially the same thing as RTV.

Yeah.. What he said. I just crawled under mine and it is in kind of an awkward position so I just taped the offending plug up with electrical tape.
I'll report back tomorrow as we are going to get some rain tonight.

Yeah.. What he said. I just crawled under mine and it is in kind of an awkward position so I just taped the offending plug up with electrical tape.
I'll report back tomorrow as we are going to get some rain tonight.
Thanks for the follow up... I actually replaced the fuel filter with a new one tonight (not a bad job). The truck seemed to run smoother but it could be my imagination...
Jake

Thanks for the follow up... I actually replaced the fuel filter with a new one tonight (not a bad job). The truck seemed to run smoother but it could be my imagination...
Jake

Well, that didn't fix it. Hasn't rained since Wednesday night and my truck is still running like crap. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom