Aftermarket steel bumpers and paint wear / rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
Hey folks

My aftermarket rear bumper paint is constantly being an issue. Specifically where things rub - underneath the shackles, the steel tubes that hold the diesel cans...etc. I'm constantly scrubbing rust off and repainting.

I'm going to try repainting the majority of the bumper with a higher quality spray paint. What kind would you recommend for durability?

As well, I figured putting some sort of thick decal or the such on the bad wear spots might help... :hmm: specifically thinking of those stick on applicable grippy things people use for safe stepping. http://www.princessauto.com/worksho.../8176307-1-x-60-ft-anti-slip-safety-grit-tape

Anything that will get in between the paint on the tubes and the cans. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would put roll on bed-liner on it. There are some reviews on here I've come across in the past as to which is best, but I would think any name brand would be much more durable than any spray paint. IMO it looks a lot better too.

Hmm, good idea. I could even just do the wear spots (ie. tubes holding cans) in bedliner. I don't know if roll-on or rattle can style spray on would be better, I think because of the roundness of the bars maybe a spray on would be best.

I used hurculiner on my rear bumper and the top side of my sliders. I rolled it on and used a small brush for tight spots.

I'm actually really interested in the Spray stuff. I was just thinking earlier today that I wanted to do something along that line with my fender flares. I'm a little nervous because it is such a highly visible area, if it turns out crappy it would affect the entire look of the rig... A bumper would be a great place to test it out on :D

Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner

I think I am going to try this stuff. A couple guys on 'mud have tried it and are really pleased with it- even over herculiner, which they have used as well. Fender Flares and Wells (should help noise from those pesky mud tires) for me, and possibly a strip on the quarter panels as well.

No matter what you put on there it will scrap off if you wheel alot.
I am repainting my sliders etc. 2-3 times a year it is what it is if you wheel your rig fairly hard.

No matter what you put on there it will scrap off if you wheel alot.
I am repainting my sliders etc. 2-3 times a year it is what it is if you wheel your rig fairly hard.

I know, and I'm not against having to do repairs when I come down hard on rocks. It's the more pesky little things like diesel cans bumping around in the carrier that wear off the paint that I shouldn't have to worry about.

I am using Rustoleum bed liner on mine. I've brushed on a couple of test spots and they look fine. The liner has a fine grain to it and brushed on fairly smooth.

Once it fully cures, I plan to do some destructive testing on the test spots.

First thing is to get rid of or convert any rust you have. I used POR 15 on my rusty welds on my ARB. Once the rust was taken care of I sanded and then sprayed the whole bumper with U-Pol Raptor bed liner. Very easy to apply and looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom