3FE Owners UNITE ! (exhaust mod) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all,

i've been looking around for some time and haven't found good pictures of a 3FE with an exhaust mod.

(college student budget btw)

well my fj80 just got a new exhaust, all i had my local shop "MUFFLER MAGIC" do is cut my exhaust off until the catys after they join together at the Y pipe. then welded a 2.5 pipe and have it exit in front of the rear wheel. it sounds pretty good, enjoy
IMG_2047.jpg
IMG_2048.jpg
IMG_2049.jpg

I've been thinking of this exact type of exhaust except all the way to the back of the truck to keep it from crossing over between the gas tank and t-case. What type of muffler did you use??

Last edited:
Not to mention most likely increasing interior noise. Where did you put the muffler(s)

What was the reason for this mod?

Mark...

this is a straight pipe after the catys so no mufflers, we tested it and the sound is good (its way better then running straight pipes from the headers), no fumes in the cab after 2 hrs of drivin non stop so far. it sounds really cool though

the reason for this mod is that i wanted better highway power i havnt tested any real hills yet. but i though you guys would like how i kept it above the frame etc

First two posters: under 30

Last two posters: over 30

:D

Yep... Could probably push that number lower. :)

No mufflers and tailpipe ending under the rig... stock 3FE I am sure... in a 4wd station wagon. 'nuff said. :)

Now I DO have a couple/three rigs that are not particularly quite. But that is because they have some pretty powerful modified motors and free flowing exhaust to go with the package. Of course I still do not hear the exhaust over the drone of the tires (or the gear driven camshaft in one case).

Modifying an exhaust system to be louder for no reason except ... to be louder... not my preferred approach. My '80s are rigs I would just as soon have quiet... Personally.

The cats *can* do a good bit to quiet the exhaust, so probably this mod is not absurdly loud. But it has to drone and reverberate under the rig and I would be concerned about fumes... and it still begs the question of "why"?

But if the OP likes it... ehh... it's his rig. :)

Mark...

the reason for this mod is that i wanted better highway power i havnt tested any real hills yet. but i though you guys would like how i kept it above the frame etc

The problem with that is that you will not make any additional power. Perhaps in theory you might gain a tiny amount, but it would be descernable only on a dyno (if at all). In the real world you will not see any gain.

Mark...

Now we're talking! :)

Mark...

Last two posters: over 30

You are too kind. I haven't been "over 30" in quite a while.

As far as fumes are concerned, different speeds will yeild different air flow patterns. Also cabin pressure will be effected by windows up or down or in combination. Any negative cabin pressure, like opening the sunroof, will suck fumes into the cabin. Keep in mind that the effects of CO are cumulative. A little bit each day adds up over time. What you can "smell" from exhaust fumes is not CO, but rather the larger, less deadly particulate components.

Wow.

Just stay the **** out of my neighborhood please.

Curtis <---over 30 :lol:

It is very likely not much louder than a 2F with a 40 series flowmaster. In my experience the Toyota cats do a fair job of damping the exhaust pulses. Probably not gonna disturb the neighborhood.

Mark...

You are too kind. I haven't been "over 30" in quite a while.

As far as fumes are concerned, different speeds will yeild different air flow patterns. Also cabin pressure will be effected by windows up or down or in combination. Any negative cabin pressure, like opening the sunroof, will suck fumes into the cabin. Keep in mind that the effects of CO are cumulative. A little bit each day adds up over time. What you can "smell" from exhaust fumes is not CO, but rather the larger, less deadly particulate components.

Agreed. Running down the highway with the cabin buttoned up is gonna be a lot different than moving in slow speed traffic in town, or moving down the trail.

Mark...

It is very likely not much louder than a 2F with a 40 series flowmaster. In my experience the Toyota cats do a fair job of damping the exhaust pulses. Probably not gonna disturb the neighborhood.

But I was just startin' to get all riled up!

THE LOUDER THE BETTER !!!!!! but this is a perfect compromise i donno which is worse "red bull every morning" or fumes ones a month haha

THE LOUDER THE BETTER !!!!!! but this is a perfect compromise i donno which is worse "red bull every morning" or fumes ones a month haha

Kids... ya can't teach 'em anything. ;)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom