Gear ratio and rng gear grinding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Due to an after dinner run up a steep canyon in 2WD with a heavy foot, I now find myself in need of a new ring and pinion set due to shearing the pinion right behind the flange. I've done some research, and the biggest negative to the 5.29's seems to be the amount of ring gear tooth that requires removal to access the spider gear shaft. As I'm running a Detroit, does this become a moot point? I can't quite picture what is involved with that...

On a separate but related subject, has anyone had issued with the freespool gear popping out on their Warn 8274? Would work its way out as I winched up, had to keep pushing the knob back in. Other than that, 100'+ pull single line at an angle with rear tires locked up and anchored to a Samurai, winch did awesome.

Anybody?

I will not install 5.29 gear sets in that application due to the amount of ring gear tooth that needs to be removed.

4.88 is as deep as I will run on a semi-float axle.

:meh:

And that is also true when using a Detroit? I'm having trouble picturing what would interfere in that application.

Basically ring gear is bolted to Detroit, assembly is then inserted into housing, axles slide in and are C-clipped, access cover is bolted in place on locker, then bearing caps go on. What am I missing?

And that is also true when using a Detroit? I'm having trouble picturing what would interfere in that application.

Basically ring gear is bolted to Detroit, assembly is then inserted into housing, axles slide in and are C-clipped, access cover is bolted in place on locker, then bearing caps go on. What am I missing?

There is still a center pin to keep the axles from sliding in & letting ther C clip fall out. Actually on my detriot the pin is shaped like a "T". The entry hole is slightly rectangular so you can get the C clips in, then the big end of the pin fills the retangular opening. It's odd looking & hard to describe.

Ah, that's right, now I remember. Looks like I'll go with 4.88, that'll get me 15% lower. Now I need to get that SM465 installed....

Just curious, your signature line says your rig is SOA as well as a V8. Do you have a track bar installed on your rear axle to keep the axle from wrapping up under torque? If not, you will continue to break pinions off.

I didn't the first time I broke it... It has one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom