Heat kills? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading about very short lived 62 alternators, If noticed that Toyota sort of pulled a WTF moment, when they redesigned the alt location for the 62.

I dont care for the fact that theres very little room because of the exhaust manifold, not the mention the added heat.

After installing my new MeanGreen, I noticed after I shut the engine off, the alt gets too hot to touch.

So I put the hold over carb fan to good use.:) I find that when the trigger wire is grounded, the fan will run for about 15 minutes after shut down, keeping the alt cool.
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg

Man that's a great idea! Did you notice a significant improvement in temperature with that? How are you keeping that duct in place? Lastly, by grounding the wire out, after the 15 minutes your battery is no longer being drained?

Man that's a great idea! Did you notice a significant improvement in temperature with that? How are you keeping that duct in place? Lastly, by grounding the wire out, after the 15 minutes your battery is no longer being drained?

Yep, the alt is no longer hot to the touch. Just zip ties for now. After 15 minute +/- a few, the fan stops.

By being grounded, the fan comes on every time the ignition is turned off.

The thermal sender, thats mounted to the manifold will only trigger the fan, when the manifold is at 225*f, and therefore the fan will only come on after a good drive.

This would not keep the alt cool, so I ground that lead.

When the alt is running, heat is not an issue, as the alt fan is cooling. Once the engine is off, the aluminum alt case, seem to suck the heat in from the exhaust.

With the engine fan going, the alt stays cool.;)

I was gonna tell u to put that on the under $50 mod but too late! Salty veteran u are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom