4x4 Labs Spindle binding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

any suggestions for a binding 4x4 Labs swing out arm? The swing out with the ladder binds when I open the arm. Not sure if rain is getting in there or not. I may need a new seal. Any suggestions? Anyone find replacement bearings or seals for these yet?

Hey guys,

any suggestions for a binding 4x4 Labs swing out arm? The swing out with the ladder binds when I open the arm. Not sure if rain is getting in there or not. I may need a new seal. Any suggestions? Anyone find replacement bearings or seals for these yet?

Have you disassembled it? All of the spindles can get moisture in them, rusting the bearings. The bearings/seal are just trailer parts, any good parts store should be able to match them up.

It may be a stretch but if your bearings and seals are all in good shape disconnect the gas cylinder and check the swing out. If it doesn't bind the cylinder may be bent or otherwise defective.

At one point my 4x4labs swing out was binding, turned out to be a bad seal that allowed for water intrusion and subsequently destroyed the bearing and races. As Kevin mentioned and decent trailer parts or bearing store will have all the parts on hand. BTW, if you replace the seal be sure to purchase a seal with a spring around the sealing lip as these maintain a better seal than the low buck seals included with the bumper.

ok just tore it down.... the bearings and races had moisture in them..totally rusted! I think it may have happened when I removed the swing outs to get them powder coated about a year ago.... I ended up using some seals from a trailer shop and they were not quite top quality... I am guessing that led to the water getting in there.
I ordered new sets of bearings and races from Luke and installed them using marine bearing grease this time....

I am hoping this does the trick!

Also,there isnt a zerk fitting on my 4x4 Labs bumper spindle.... do you have one?

ok just tore it down.... the bearings and races had moisture in them..totally rusted! I think it may have happened when I removed the swing outs to get them powder coated about a year ago.... I ended up using some seals from a trailer shop and they were not quite top quality... I am guessing that led to the water getting in there.
I ordered new sets of bearings and races from Luke and installed them using marine bearing grease this time....

I am hoping this does the trick!

Even with bad seals, it would be hard to get moisture trapped up there unless you were running without a cap or spent some time submerged :confused:

I'm guessing not enough grease when installed :meh:

Also,there isnt a zerk fitting on my 4x4 Labs bumper spindle.... do you have one?

I have them on my Hefty spindles, but I still packed them by hand before installing :cool:

While you're replacing the bearings, races and seal now is a good time to to drill and tap the housing for a grease zerk.

Even with bad seals, it would be hard to get moisture trapped up there unless you were running without a cap or spent some time submerged :confused:

I'm guessing not enough grease when installed :meh:

Not necessarily. I was in the same boat the second I packed the bearings after 18 months. Turns out the seal was bad and allowed water to get in & not out and mixed with the grease which created a rusty mess. A better quality seal has resolved the issue. For whatever reason I didn't install a grease zerk, next time...

I had the same thing happen to my spindles. I now use RTV on the cap. I hope that helps, but rebuilding is probably necessary from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom