Radiator - repair or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I developed a very small leak in the radiator of my stock 73 FJ40. The leak is at the top right side of the radiator (opposite side of the cap) and is pooling in the top lip and dripping off. I tried some Bars and it worked for a week or so but then began leaking again. I talked to the folks at Bars and they said that their product has a hard time with leaks along the top of the radiator because if the coolant gets low, the product no longer makes contact with the leak. So I called a local radiator repair shop and they gave me a quote over the phone of $65 for the standard clean and repair. The radiator looked to be in good condition from the front but when I pulled it, it looks as though it's been patched several times in the rear. Am I right, are these patches?

Given the condition of the radiator, should I attempt to repair this one or just replace it? For replacement, I've seen several options...

Radiators

Replacement Radiator for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 on eBay!

Extreme Duty 4 Core Radiator for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 - JTOutfitters

MAF Aluminum Billet Radiators

FJ40 & FJ45 Parts Landcruiser Parts

FJ40 Radiator FJ40, FJ45 & FJ55 Four Core Radiator - Free Radiator Cap - 1958 - 10/1984

Any opinions on these or others you may have used?
front.jpg
patch 1.jpg
patch 3.jpg

Check out radiatorbarn.com. I've purchased a couple from them. I think they were under $250 delivered. Looks the same as stk. I went w/the stk 4 row. I just looked on there site $165.??

Last edited:
X2 on radiatorbarn.com. Mine was less than $170 delivered in 3-4 days.

you could try and "sweat" the joint with a propane torch.
buy the flux and solder that is used on house copper water piping.
clean everything first, especially the paint. use allot of flux.

Try using Alumaseal if it's a small leak. Deprecated Browser Error Bars is bad stuff, Ive talked to engine machine shop guys who say it clogs coolant passages in your engine and I've never had much luck with it working anyway. There are other brands of the stuff I'm talking about , I think Gunk makes one too. It's basically a little tube of metal filing looking stuff you dump in the rad that fills the holes and melts in place. The same machine shop guys that told me not to use Bars recommend it. It doesn't harm anything but It's by no means a permanent fix. You might get another year or two out of the rad and if it doesn't work you're only out 10$ or less depending on where you get it. Most auto parts stores carry something like it. If you can afford to replace the rad right now, by all means do it but the alumaseal has always worked for me, I always carry some in the glovebox for bush repairs.

Yea well.....I called and ordered one today myself

Brilliant minds do think alike.......:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom