Piston ring materials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't find much of any information here about rings, so here it goes.

I'm needing to buy a set of standard rings for a 2F. I was tentatively planning on getting Sealed Power premium rings, which are chrome coated. I'm now second guessing that b/c I've found that chrome rings take more to properly seat and can lead to sealing problems between the piston and cylinder walls. Should I stay away from chrome coated rings?

How well do Deves rings do with these engines?

I thought about OEM, but not for ~$200/set for standard size. I found moly Hastings rings for ~$83... time to order.

I thought about OEM, but not for ~$200/set for standard size. I found moly Hastings rings for ~$83... time to order.

For the time and trouble of putting in new rings, you have to save $117 today? Seriously?

Had to do the same thing a couple of months ago. Saving 100 bucks on this type of job did not make sense given the piece of mind you have when you buy OEM.

For the time and trouble of putting in new rings, you have to save $117 today? Seriously?

I didn't find much of any information here about rings, so here it goes.

I'm needing to buy a set of standard rings for a 2F. I was tentatively planning on getting Sealed Power premium rings, which are chrome coated. I'm now second guessing that b/c I've found that chrome rings take more to properly seat and can lead to sealing problems between the piston and cylinder walls. Should I stay away from chrome coated rings?

How well do Deves rings do with these engines?

Chrome rings do take a long time to seat, if they ever do.

Chrome rings do take a long time to seat, if they ever do.

That's one reason why I quickly said no to them.

I got a set of Hastings moly rings, which from what I've been able to tell are an improvement over oem rings especially since oem are most likely cast iron. The oem rings, from MAF for instance, didn't make much sense to me since std. rings are $190, while bored over rings are less than half that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom