Mean Green working well. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had this sucker for a few days, and I'm happy with it. Not crazy happy but more so than with the stocker.

I have no way to know the real amp rating on this. I'm told by the nice fellow at MG that it's 140 amps. If it is 140, that plenty for my needs.

What I'd like to hit on with this little gem is the Quality workmanship that is clear and stands out. I like the fact that there's still away to support a quality (made in USA) product, while driving a Toyota.

I've seen a couple of negative post on MG alts, but neither had any follow up, making me doubt the honesty of the poster.

Time will tell.
IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0731.jpg

I have a MG Alt and the starter and I took aout the 15 lb pull thing and installed the pully replacment. Love them........ Expensive though for both.....

Glad to hear you like it; I have one waiting to go in my 40. Agree that it sure looks like quality workmanship sitting on the floor.

How stable is your idle voltage when hot? My Beck/Arnley (with a NipponDenso voltage regulator) still dips to just a hair above 12V at idle after it's warmed up. Fried its original Chinese VR within a year of its initial install, but I dug around and came up with an ND replacement and it's MUCH better than it was before.

I'm just considering if this one eventually s***s the bed completely, going with Mean Green for a replacement.

BTW what's up with the pigtail?

I'm looking to get one if they offer it with a vacuum pump. Still trying to get the answer...

I'm looking to get one if they offer it with a vacuum pump. Still trying to get the answer...

not a chance .. what you can do it's

1. buy an electric vacc pump and then run the alt you want

2. buy an Hyundai Terracan 120 amps alt which came factory with vacc pump attach like ours ..

If you don't mind me asking, what's the $$$?

Have had mine for 3 years now. Love it, no noticable voltage drop at idle. I have a 1K watt stereo, CB, Duel GPS's, winch, lights, and duel Optima's. I have had the stereo bumpin while winching a friend out- no issues. But is is pricey!

Oh one thing I did do was run an 8GA wire from the alternators output directly to the battery. The old factory 12GA wire that runs the whole truck and goes to the battery just looked like a fusable link to me. Especially if you plan on running a winch. Sending 140-200amps through that stock 12 GA wire looked dangerous.

Good feedback/suggestions all - that is pricey, but I've been considering swapping the stock 60 series alternator out with an 80 series for the increased amperage but haven't motivated to do so yet...

Oh one thing I did do was run an 8GA wire from the alternators output directly to the battery. The old factory 12GA wire that runs the whole truck and goes to the battery just looked like a fusable link to me. Especially if you plan on running a winch. Sending 140-200amps through that stock 12 GA wire looked dangerous.

The stock alternator to battery wire on my '80 40 looks more like 10 AWG (or it's Japanese equivalent) but still way too thin for more amps than stock. I used 1 AWG for mine, and the same for a ground cable from the alt to the frame and battery. Haven't wired the exciting trigger wire into the pigtail yet.

IMG_0746.jpg

not a chance .. what you can do it's

1. buy an electric vacc pump and then run the alt you want

2. buy an Hyundai Terracan 120 amps alt which came factory with vacc pump attach like ours ..

Thanks Tapage. As the years have passed, I find I'm a wimp when it comes to mods...I'm looking for a bolt-in option. I think I've found one. An Oz store sez they have an 80A alternator w/pump for a 2H/12H-T. We'll see.

How many :banana: was your Hyundai alt mod?

Finding it's not so easy to find Hyundai Galloper parts in the NE US...

Thanks Tapage. As the years have passed, I find I'm a wimp when it comes to mods...I'm looking for a bolt-in option. I think I've found one. An Oz store sez they have an 80A alternator w/pump for a 2H/12H-T. We'll see.

How many :banana: was your Hyundai alt mod?

not that much .. swap pulley was bolt on, you need to redo the bracket not that complicated .. it's pretty close to the stock dimensions and the most it's the hyundai it's internal regulated .. so you won't gonna need the external stock V regulator box anymore ..

7 years on mine still running strong!

Hey Benjaman, Are you still liking your Mean Green? How does it do at idle when hot? I'm considering going this route, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
TK

No issue yet! The idle voltage is right around 13 volts. Cruising down the freeway it sits at about 14 volts.

Have not noticed any heat related issues. I find it to be an outstanding product.

One day I'll up the wire gauge.:D

I am also interested in the MG alt.....

Curious, has anyone had this thing in water and mud/silt? That will kill most alts pretty fast, just wondering if the MG is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom