Where did all this metal come from? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Tore down a transmission and transfer case assembly that was leaking externally(and probably internally as well) between the two gear boxes to inspect, reseal and gasket.
JTC01.jpg
JTC02.jpg

Parking brake seal surface is not horrible, however that groove on the aft section of that housing is not good.

:eek:
JTC03.jpg
JTC04.jpg

Input gear...
JTC05.jpg
JTC06.jpg

More metal...
JTC07.jpg
JTC08.jpg
JTC09.jpg

High speed gears...
JTC10.jpg
JTC11.jpg

More...
JTC12.jpg
JTC1201.jpg

Range fork....
JTC13.jpg
JTC14.jpg

Junk transmission output shaft...
JTC15.jpg
JTC16.jpg
JTC17.jpg

Toast.

Looks like the case had water in it at one point and rusted. Then the rusted stuff was drain with a few oil changes. All the gears look pitted causing the gears to eat each other causing the metal.

My best guess. That or the idler shaft bearings and shaft are shot. Which they would be anyway with all that metal.

I guess there could have been rust on the gears but the low speed gears do not look anything like the high speed gears.

It looks like damage indicative of a case ran low on oil for a while...

:meh:

what caused the groove on the parking brake housing?

Yup, that would be my first guess. Ran without much/any gear oil for a while, and /or ran with water mixed into it. I have seen a lot of output shafts like that, some with the splines deformed so far that the gears would barely come off after breaking the first puller I used. Condolences. John

That would be an indicator of transfer case main shaft bearings that are completely out of adjustment/shot and continued to be operated. Picture the parking brake drum running in an exaggerated circle, rubbing on the parking brake backing plate.

This is far from a shocking discovery considering the many other issues that have been uncovered on this customer vehicle. Front output flange nut reused and not staked, rear output nut reused and not staked, body not even secured to the frame, partial de-smog but nothing really capped off or sealed. It was purchased from a company that focuses on Vintage vehicles primarily for the Off Road enthusiast.

Last edited:

The one I had like that was caused by the parking brake lever coming lose from the shoe and dragging on the drum spindle.

VINTAGE? Kind of sounds like a Mushroom job.

Clever...clever and subtle.

John

TC

So Poser,

What was the cause?
Looks to me like lack of lube or not the right lube, or maybe it had Lucas oil in it?
The output shaft is re-useable IMHO however a good weld job and re cut the splines with a small disc grinder and a couple of files, works. Have one I just pulled apart with the output shaft splines more than half worn through and the gear splines even worse, wear begets wear. The blackness on the parts says heat to me and lack of lube.
So do you rebuild it or find a replacement?

Thanks jb

At least the customer probably got it on the cheap;)

Maybe there should be a sticky for all the potential off road enthusiasts - probably wouldn't help. Educations are usually expensive or time consuming. Often both with Land Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom