RTH...rear axle seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing an aussie locker today, and just removed the nuts, washers and cone washers. The drivers side started to immediately leak oil.........is this right, do I have a bad seal?

are your wiper seals leaking?

I am installing an aussie locker today, and just removed the nuts, washers and cone washers. The drivers side started to immediately leak oil.........is this right, do I have a bad seal?

IIRC it's pretty common for the rear inner oil seal to go with the amount of miles most of these cruisers have on them. If you've never been in there before its probably time for a new seal. Luckily they are pretty inexpensive and easy to swap. If the cruiser was slightly unlevel towards that side and the axle shaft was partly pulled out, then that is probably normal. If it were me for the small cost I'd just replace those seals if they haven't been done recently.

IIRC it's pretty common for the rear inner oil seal to go with the amount of miles most of these cruisers have on them. If you've never been in there before its probably time for a new seal. Luckily they are pretty inexpensive and easy to swap. If the cruiser was slightly unlevel towards that side and the axle shaft was partly pulled out, then that is probably normal. If it were me for the small cost I'd just replace those seals if they haven't been done recently.

This is also my DD, if the seals are not easily available, is it ok to put back together as is, and swap when i can get them.....suppose I have been driving this way for quite some time!

Sorry, Rear axle is what I'm on....

oops, just saw that, lol, just replace both inner axle seals,if gear oil gets to your bearings it will mess them up pretty quick

This is also my DD, if the seals are not easily available, is it ok to put back together as is, and swap when i can get them.....suppose I have been driving this way for quite some time!

I'd suggest doing a bit of reading on some of the old rear axle threads. Lots of good info in there by some very experienced folks and make your decision based on that. However, I would guess that rear axle seals are pretty easy to come by; worth at least calling some local dealers. If you're going to put it back together as is, just make sure you are not leaking gear oil. While the paper gasket and dust seal seem to hold gear oil pretty well I don't think they were designed for that, especially after being disassembled and then put back together. As for lubricating the bearings, the oil may do a better job as its just grease without the emulsified soap component. (So as long as there is sufficient volume of oil on the bearings.)

Last edited:
Pull the axle, look at the bearings, they should have grease, if not the seal has failed and gear oil has washed the grease out. This is pretty common, lots of them have run long term with oil lube. As long as oil isn't leaking out, it is acceptable to run it that way until new seals can be procured, oil is a better bearing lube than grease.

ok, thanks everyone for the help. Locker in, finishing up putting everyhing back together. I will order a rear axle seal kit and tear it all back down when i get it.....excited to get to play with my locker!!!:flipoff2:

Isn't it the "Outer" axle seal? As a rule of thumb, any time I have something apart, I use that opportunity to replace any seal that is effected. When I put in my Lockright, I called up Cdan and got:

Third Member/Pumpkin gasket

Outer axle Seals (That's what I'm calling them anyway...the ones at the wheel-side of the axle shafts)

The Small paper hub gaskets.

Extra thrust washers of different thicknesses to make sure I could hit my gap tolerances.

And I thought about getting a pinion seal but the old one was okay and I wasn't opening that up....

I guess what I'm saying is, it's nice to have everything possibly needed before you break it open, so you're not sitting on your hands, waiting for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom