Winch for the HJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any recommendations for a winch for the hj47?

She weighs in approx 4200lbs dry with the bull bar and no fuel. So maybe 5k + loaded, from what I have read they recommend minimum 1.5 xs the weight

I am looking for single person self recovery from whatever may hold me up, would like a synthetic rope model, and a budget aroun $5 - 650 if that will do it. And as waterproof as possible. New or used?

Should I go with a receiver mount for front rear option?

Last edited:
:clap::):)M8274:):):clap:
And that's all you need to know. :cheers:

~John
:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

Thanks John! I suppose only one reply was needed, your is a good one!

Thanks John! I suppose only one reply was needed, your is a good one!

Yeah, I guess there was not much argument with that one... ;)

There is a forum that discusses winches and winching. If you haven't gone looking for it:

Winching and Recovery

It has some useful info.

I would suggest looking for a good used winch unless you have lots of money to spend on a nice shiny new one.

~John

I am looking for single person self recovery from whatever may hold me up, would like a synthetic rope model, and a budget aroun $5 - 650 if that will do it. And as waterproof as possible. New or used?

Should I go with a receiver mount for front rear option?

I think John missed your budget numbers. :D Here is some budget help. $650 would be a good price for this winch used. New, you are looking at over $1100. 150' of good synthetic rope will easily be over $500. I'd stick with steel wire if price is an issue. There is nothing wrong with wire except the extra weight. Now also add to this the additional tackle you will need for winching: shackles, swing blocks, tree savers, straps, chafe guards, etc, and you can easily add another $300.

You can save a fair bit of money by keeping an eye out for used winches and tackle. Project winches (I've got 4 of these) often go for under $200. I even picked up one for a case of beer. The other two I bought for $50 each. Take some time and read the rebuild threads on old 8274s before you go this route.

at least 12K .. but that depends on what are you planning to do with your 60 .. trustable used or new china made ( for your budget ) ..

My personal opinion and it's only an opinion is that I would buy a used 8274 over anything new made in China. If a new winch is <$1000, it ain't made here.

I've read too many threads of folks bad experiences with fried solenoids, etc on cheap winches, which is the LAST thing anyone wants to happen when you or your buddy gets detained.

The older winches are easy enough to rebuild with quality components for less $ than a new one. If you aren't in a hurry; take your time looking for the right one. I paid $300 for my 1986 M12000. I completely rebuilt it, which wasn't too hard, the motor was still in good shape and I know it works. It's not as fast as an 8274 but I just picked up 1 1/2 8274's for $100 to restore as a winter project, so I may sell the M12000, who knows. So, the old winches are out there, just need to be patient and look for a while.

Besides, if you've restored a used winch, you know it, and you know it works and finally, it will look way cooler on that HJ than a new winch ;) . Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I will still say M8274.

$400 - $600 in good used condition.

Keep the wire rope unless you really need synthetic - I've used wire rope for over 20 years and it works just fine.

The 8274 is fast enough that using a snatch block is actually a good idea (and safer, and easier on your gear) than single-lining.

An 8274 is fairly under-rated when you compare it to other winches in its category.

I would put an M8274 up against an M12000 any day of the week in a head to head vehicle recovery situation (or mocked up situation to simulate a recovery) that represents what one might get into on a day or week out in the woods. I would be willing to bet I could get the M8274 equipped vehicle out faster than the one running the M12000 in virtually all situations.

~John

sitting back now with :beer: & :popcorn:

My personal opinion and it's only an opinion is that I would buy a used 8274 over anything new made in China. If a new winch is <$1000, it ain't made here. ;) . Just my $0.02.

Good advice.

~John:cheers:

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I've got a Toyota factory electric winch on my HDJ. I'm considering parting the truck as I am shopping for another 61 in Japan. Any idea of what it's worth with/without bumper??

i recommend warn winches. i had a m12000 before, and it never failed me. i sold it for 800$, it was still in great condition and then i got a 24v m18000, hardly ever use it since soa.

8274 is the ONLY winch out there worth looking at.
New are made in China.
Used are hard to come by but worth every penny if in good condition.

New are huge fawking money but still worth it.

remember, a winch is to get your ass out of the mess your head and right foot got you into.

it can also be a literal life saver.

8274 or M12000.

I have both, 8274 on a 40, M12000 on an 80, so for an HJ, I'd say M12000 for the extra grunt.

My M12000 has done some serious recovery work. Like I wrote a letter to Warn thanking them for the M12000. It has saved multiple trucks, pulled up hills a tank couldn't do--it's just a beast. Size, therefore, can be a factor--it may not fit.

My 8274 blew a solenoid box on a recovery. Probably just a lemon box, it's still on the 40. No 8274 is ever junk.

Dave

depends on what a person is looking for:
speed strength reliability price
for me, price is a waste of breath. if you are slowly sliding off the side of a mountain then you want reliability and speed. if you are buried up to your headlights in skag then you want reliabilty and strength. and if you are by yourself this can become life threatening.

for me, 12V 8274 running on 24V is the best of the lot.
being a HJ then you are running 24V (unless you got the truck from Oz or some other 12V country) and a 24V winch isn't going to be an easy find used, nor is it going to be cheap.

if you do have a 24V truck i do have a factory 24V low profile winch for sale (it isn't a 8274 so i am not interested in it)

I have an XD9000i 24v coming on the next truck.
I am tossing up the idea on switching the motor on it for an 8274 I have.
I'll have to see how it pulls first to decide. If the 9000i does I will be using the 8274 route.

all HJs scream PTO all the rest is only second best imo

PTO is a poor winch, engine must be running, sheer pins are a bitch to change when they sheer and it is NEVER in your driveway where you can get at them, it is usually when the front is buried under mud, on a stupidly steep hill or some other NASTY mess.

PTO is a nice looking toy for the front of pretty trucks.

of course that is just my opinion, others may vary.

PTO is a poor winch, engine must be running, sheer pins are a bitch to change when they sheer and it is NEVER in your driveway where you can get at them, it is usually when the front is buried under mud, on a stupidly steep hill or some other NASTY mess.

PTO is a nice looking toy for the front of pretty trucks.

of course that is just my opinion, others may vary.

the trick is to replace shear pins with strong enough ones before you sink yourself up to hood in mud... And lets face the facts, pto winch is the one with most pulling power afterall and no worries of toasting it on long pulls...

facts?
disagree with your assessment.

but that is alright you have the right to your ... opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom