Questions: FJ62's and California Smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What have California FJ62 owners done to pass smog? The last time I did it, it passed fine. Engine and drivetrain are stock minus the 4.88’s, 35’s and lockers. From what I can understand, sometime within the last year the emission standards for older vehicles have been changed. It seems that our trucks must pass the smog requirements of when they were new back in the 80’s and not the widened emission requirements that we have had in the past. I will post my smog numbers if needed but I was hoping someone could give a generic answer like, “new ODBII cats are needed.”

Anyone know when this law or change was passed and a link? I’d like to read up on it a little more.

I will never retire my vehicle. I rather drop more money into it than let it die in a wrecking yard.

untitled-4.jpg

Last edited:
I had mine smogged in September and it was bone stock when I picked it up. Original exhaust and O2 sensors. Passed fine then...in the future, now I wonder!

The problem is you have 35" tires. You need to pull them off and give them to me. Seriously, I don't know. I had my 85 smogged last summer and I had to have the carb jetted down. After that it passed and I think it actually runs better.

You sure there isn't a problem? I just sold my 88' FJ-62 with 4.88 and 35s with the original cats and it smogged perfectly. I live in northern california. Just my $0.02 .

My 1986 FJ60 failed last time for the first time ever. All she needed was a new cat, and passed with flying colors. I suppose a new cat every 24 years is manageable.

If I were to post the numbers of the smog test, would someone on here know if replacing the cats would fix that?

Seth,
No, you cannot have my 35's, especially with your poser FJ Cruiser wheels. I will consider a trade: Your H55 and toybox for my 35's. I'll even throw in an A440F...

Randy, they won't even test you with brakes on three wheels and a loose front bumper!

Yes, post the numbers and I can tell you what to fix.

Dynosoar:zilla:

when i bought my 60 last year the owner had to get it to pass smog to sell it, all she had to do was put a new cat in and it passed

Randy, they won't even test you with brakes on three wheels and a loose front bumper!

Yes, post the numbers and I can tell you what to fix.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Hey! The bumper is tight. No comment on the brakes. I'll post numbers Monday.

62s in good running condition pass easily. I just went through in November at less than 10% of max on all numbers. If it doesn't pass, I'd look first at the O2 sensors, then cats. Seriously, mine is a ULEV. LOL.

I spent more than I paid for the truck to pass smog. Pretty much replaced everything smog related with new to pass. But I'm not very smart with money.
What have California FJ62 owners done to pass smog? The last time I did it, it passed fine. Engine and drivetrain are stock minus the 4.88’s, 35’s and lockers. From what I can understand, sometime within the last year the emission standards for older vehicles have been changed. It seems that our trucks must pass the smog requirements of when they were new back in the 80’s and not the widened emission requirements that we have had in the past. I will post my smog numbers if needed but I was hoping someone could give a generic answer like, “new ODBII cats are needed.”

Anyone know when this law or change was passed and a link? I’d like to read up on it a little more.

I will never retire my vehicle. I rather drop more money into it than let it die in a wrecking yard.

62s in good running condition pass easily. I just went through in November at less than 10% of max on all numbers. If it doesn't pass, I'd look first at the O2 sensors, then cats. Seriously, mine is a ULEV. LOL.

Drew,
How many miles on your 62? Mine has 290,000. Also, did you pass yours with stock tires?

Can having 35" tires with 4.88 gears make a difference when smogging a vehicle?

Drew,
How many miles on your 62? Mine has 290,000. Also, did you pass yours with stock tires?

Can having 35" tires with 4.88 gears make a difference when smogging a vehicle?

Your tires and gears match well, so I doubt that's what causing you to fail. I have stock gears and 31 inch tires, so I'm under-geared and still passed easily.

My FJ62 has 130k miles, so a few less than yours.

What was high on yours? Do you have a CEL on? Did you check if the engine was throwing any codes? Things should be OK for you. When all tuned up, the FJ62 is very clean running.

Are your O2 sensors original?

I found this link that is a data base for the smog limits. The figures below are for my 1985 FJ60. ASM 5015 is for the 15 mph test and ASM 2525 is for the 25 mph test both on the dyno. My records show that the last time I took a dyno test (2008) the limits were:

15mph: 125ppm HC, 0.79% CO, 1062ppm NO
25mph: 96ppm HC, 0.12% CO, 1073ppm NO

So it seems that the limit for NO has been reduced, but I don't know when this happened. I know that in 2008 they also implemented a low pressure test of the EVAP system (because I failed that).

The last time I got smogged (2010) for some reason they did the old non-dyno tail pipe test. They said they couldn't put it on the dyno because it was AWD. I didn't argue with them since I passed the test...

Vehicle Test History
BAR Limits FJ60.JPG
Bar Limits FJ60 notes.JPG

ever since they instituted the loaded (chassis dyno) test, they've been able to test NOx. since then, a lot of stuff from the eighties to early nineties have been failing as the cats wear out requiring a new cat.

The numbers will tell where the problem lies. Testing O2 sensors is easy if you have a voltmeter, scanning codes is even easier, and if you have a light on, it's an instant fail in CA so you should have scanned the codes before heading to get smogged.

Drew is right. A good running 3FE is so clean running that you will get looks from the smog guy when he reads the numbers.

Thanks for the continuing info. I need to find the paperwork and post it up. I can run the voltmeter test on the 02 sensors pretty easily. The check engine light does not come on so I assume that means it's not throwing any codes.

Drew,
I have no records pre 2008 so I assume that the 02 sensors are originals. How many people have swapped theirs out? I have a spare set off my parts truck which had 160,000ish miles on it.

Randy - I have a new after market oxygen sensor. I bought it cheap off ebay thinking that my cat has one. It turns that the 60's have a temp sensor. It's yours if you want it.

Randy - I have a new after market oxygen sensor. I bought it cheap off ebay thinking that my cat has one. It turns that the 60's have a temp sensor. It's yours if you want it.

Thanks Mr. Wood, i'll keep that in mind as I work through this thing maybe sunday.

Here's the numbers. Put them in the first post as well.
untitled-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom