DC Power Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title suggests, I am down to the short strokes in purchasing a high output alternator from DC Power in Riverside, Ca.
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/dc-power-vs-competition
I am considering their XP series, supposed to be their most durable alternator.
My question is this: Has anyone used them, or knows of them, possibly living in the Riverside area?
The whole story is I sent an email to Wrangler Alternators (Oregon?) after I read that a Canadian here on Mud had purchased an alternator for his 60 series and had good luck with it.....I got referred to DC Power by the guys at Wrangler, and DC Power says they can build a direct bolt on unit for HDJ-81.....after reviewing their web page, I was impressed by their quality.
Caraudio.com forum had nothing but good reviews, as well as dieselstop.com.....what do 'Mud members think?
Thanks guys!;)

Gord

As the title suggests, I am down to the short strokes in purchasing a high output alternator from DC Power in Riverside, Ca.
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/dc-power-vs-competition
My question is this: Has anyone used them, or knows of them, possibly living in the Riverside area?
The whole story is I sent an email to Wrangler Alternators (Oregon?) after I read that a Canadian here on Mud had purchased an alternator for his 60 series and had good luck with it.....I got referred to DC Power by the guys at Wrangler, and DC Power says they can build a direct bolt on unit for HDJ-81.....after reviewing their web page, I was impressed by their quality.
Caraudio.com forum had nothing but good reviews, as well as dieselstop.com.....what do 'Mud members think?
Thanks guys!;)

Gord

Is it stock (OEM) case unit or does it use adapters? I have no experience with this company but I did try a "direct bolt in" unit for my 3FE from another company with an excellent reputation. It did bolt in (it used a Ford small case for the alt itself), but the adapters were a pain, they required constant retightening to keep the belt tight (I had them loosen to the point on one drip that the headlights dimmed), and eventually I think I killed the alt from overtightening.

I went to a Wrangler unit. They got a new OEM case and built it to 175 amps with an undersized pulley for better idle output. It has been flawless for almost 20,000 miles and runs my dual yellow tops, dual SPAL electric fans, amplifier for the stereo, dual proc carputer (PC) with in-dash touchscreen, and high power lights. I mention this only because this alternator is stressed way beyond what the stock electrical system draws.

Moby, was that from Wrangler NW??

Is it stock (OEM) case unit or does it use adapters? It did bolt in (it used a Ford small case for the alt itself), but the adapters were a pain, they required constant retightening to keep the belt tight (I had them loosen to the point on one drip that the headlights dimmed), and eventually I think I killed the alt from overtightening.I went to a Wrangler unit.

I was surprised when Wrangler blew me off, referring me to DC Power. There has been no mention of adapters....in fact, I removed my oem alternator, took many pics of it and sent them to this outfit so they knew what I had and could sell me a direct bolt on.
Anyone else have any experience with this DC Power?

Thanks,
Gord

Dc power is a good company.I haven't use them but seen them use in alot of stereo installs. I have used irragi and mechman when i use to do stereo competitions. They rank up there with ohio generator. The problem i was having was a 350amp alternator wont fit in stock location, so i am having to do research on fabbing up bracket.

Use a 130 or 150 AMP alternator from a Tundra or Sequia. Replace pulley with one from your stock 80 Series 80 AMP alternator. Install with PhotoMan's bracket and upgrade the fusible link. It works, is proven and a replacement alternator could be found at any dealership or autoparts store.

Search PhotoMan's user ID on here and you should find a link to the install thread.

What alternator isn't durable?

Their web site sounds like a little truth with some sales rap and hyperbole mixed in.

Why do you think you need one of these?

What alternator isn't durable?

Their web site sounds like a little truth with some sales rap and hyperbole mixed in.

Why do you think you need one of these?

I need a high amp alternator to handle everything we need to power on an upcoming camping trip to Alaska......and DC Power's website goes into detail regarding how they get the high amps out of their units.....not just a small pulley on a slightly modified alternator, but a fully designed alternator made to take the heat of the higher amps.
What part do you think is hyperbole, Pinhead? Maybe I overlooked something?
Someone suggested using Photoman's bracket, I don't think it was designed to fit on a 1HD-T engine.....but I appreciate everyone's opinion.
Was just kinda hoping that someone had first hand experience with their products.

Gord

There are a lot of things that don't pass the smell test. From the top:
1. Misaligned brushes. This is not a common problem on any alternator.
2. Faster speed makes more heat. Not really; it is the amount of power produced that makes most of the heat.
3. Soldered rectifiers are no good. If it gets hot enough to melt solder that will be the least of your problems.
4. Hand wound stators are better than machine wound. Hairpin wound are "vastly superior" to slow wound. It is the number of windings and their size that determines the power produced by a magnetic field.
5. The number of diodes is important. You need a minimum of 6 for a 3 phase full wave bridge, but doubling the number doesn't make it necessarily better.

You would be better off to add up all the power requirements of the things you plan to run and see what you really need. 270 amps at 14V is a bundle of power to drive with a single serpentine belt. Does the 1 HD-T even use a serpentine belt? Maybe you will decide to leave the 1000 watt sound system home.

I went to a Wrangler unit. They got a new OEM case and built it to 175 amps with an undersized pulley for better idle output. It has been flawless for almost 20,000 miles

Joel,
Do you have more information on this unit? The Wrangler website doesn't list anything for Toyota. I would like to hear more about a direct bolt on solution for a 3FE motor.

5. The number of diodes is important.

You would be better off to add up all the power requirements of the things you plan to run and see what you really need. 270 amps at 14V is a bundle of power to drive with a single serpentine belt. Does the 1 HD-T even use a serpentine belt? Maybe you will decide to leave the 1000 watt sound system home.

Well, I guess we can agree on point 5 anyway! I agree that adding up all power requirements is a great idea, but as of today I cannot guess at the exact amount of amps required, as this will be an ongoing project. I am trying hard not to purchase something more than once, including the alternator.
My 1HD-T presently drives the oem alternator using two v-belts, could be modified to use a serpentine belt....sorry, no fancy stereo system planned at this time.

Gord

Joel,
Do you have more information on this unit? The Wrangler website doesn't list anything for Toyota. I would like to hear more about a direct bolt on solution for a 3FE motor.

Mine is a Wrangler NW custom build. I worked with Stan, who was very helpful, but this was maybe 4 years ago. I told him I wanted 175 amps hot rated and that idle output was an issue. They got the smallest pulley they could find. The stock parts, including the case, were all new. Maybe they aren't doing custom work any more, but it is worth a call.

My previous 175 amp unit was a Mechman. I cannot recommend these for the 3FE. Mechman is a very nice shop, but the adapters sucked. The belt constantly loosened and the unit didn't make it 15,000 miles (although it is certainly possible that I killed the bearings by over tightening the belt).

Mine is a Wrangler NW custom build. I worked with Stan, who was very helpful, but this was maybe 4 years ago. I told him I wanted 175 amps hot rated and that idle output was an issue. They got the smallest pulley they could find. The stock parts, including the case, were all new. Maybe they aren't doing custom work any more, but it is worth a call.

My previous 175 amp unit was a Mechman. I cannot recommend these for the 3FE. Mechman is a very nice shop, but the adapters sucked. The belt constantly loosened and the unit didn't make it 15,000 miles (although it is certainly possible that I killed the bearings by over tightening the belt).

Thanks Moby. I have worked with them on 3 dual battery kits(https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/446114-dual-battery-using-wrangler-nw-kit.html) and custom jumper cables. They are very professional and knowledgeable.. (Stan H & Kevin C)

I am going to call them. I have a photman kit to do a 175 amp Sequioa alternator but if they are do a custom job that a direct fit, I may go that way.

Last edited:
I called Wrangler NW and was reffered to DC Power for the same alternator. Turns out they made the alternator for Wrangler NW and that Stan is now over there...

Any more info on this? I looked all over DC's website and they only list stuff for the 100 & 200 series. It looks like an awesome product but I can't find anything for a 3FE.

Any more info on this? I looked all over DC's website and they only list stuff for the 100 & 200 series. It looks like an awesome product but I can't find anything for a 3FE.

I would call them directly, I bet they can make what you needed

Did you ever end up putting a new alternator in your 81? I recently had mine rebuilt and the shop told me it was 100amps. I think that's quite a bit for a diesel considering the lack of an ignition system.

My truck has the cold weather package so that could by why it doesn't have the typical 60amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom