The Thud Part III (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wrote earlier about a "thud" I hear after putting the cruiser in park and several people confirmed my suspicion that it was the parking pawl. Now I am following cdan's advice and doing the (neutral->ebrake->let off brakes->let it rest into place->brake->park) method when I want to put it in park.

Now I hear and feel the same "thud" After STARTING the truck in the morning (it's still in park, haven't put my foot on the brakes, has been parked as described above, e-brake is still on). It sounds like it is just below the tranny/transfer case area as if someone took a small hammer and whacked the floorboards lightly.

I took it to the dealer and they said the 343 tranny TSB does not apply to me because there is no chatter noise when shifted from reverse into neutral or park.

My ebrake DOES hold the vehicle in place when the surface is anywhere from level to a slight incline, so it's not that the ebrake is allowing it to roll into the parking pawl. This has been happening on very level surfaces, no inclines as far as I can tell. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else, or am I the only one?

Vehicle is a '97 w/ 52k mi, regular tranny service- fluid changed @ 15k, 30k, 50k miles, currently using Mobil 1 ATF but it did the same thing before.

Find a different dealer or bitch a bit more about it. Tell them you want another ball :rolleyes: .

If you tell them I told you to I will deny it...... :flipoff2:

Does this solution apply to the A 442 F tranny too ? I'm getting tired of having to push the red button to shift into gear from Park.

Kalawang

Sounds like a completely different symptom (and a different tranny) from what's being discussed. Why are you thinking the same fix would apply?

I was doing a search for my problem and a poster mentioned my tranny in part 2. I was fairly tired from looking and bit at the solution regardless that it isn't directly related. :eek: :eek:

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom