Alternative Uses: On-board Air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having pondered this for a couple weeks now I decided I should take it to the experts: You Guys.

I know there are a number of factors that limit the viability of on-board air for other uses, specifically volume vs pressure, but I know there have to be additional tasks that can be completed in having one.

My current setup includes the ARB compressor, which so far has been immensely useful, but only for tires.

Thoughts?

Alright, I can see I am being too vague.

With the use of a manifold to reduce the run time of the pump, is it possible to run something like an air ratchet? I assume they make a fitment for the hose, but is it feasible? I think it would be awesome just to be able to pop one of those on.

In addition, going back to my pressure versus volume question, has anyone used the pump to fill up an air mattress/something like it or is it not the right concept?

Alright, I can see I am being too vague.

With the use of a manifold to reduce the run time of the pump, is it possible to run something like an air ratchet? I assume they make a fitment for the hose, but is it feasible? I think it would be awesome just to be able to pop one of those on.

In addition, going back to my pressure versus volume question, has anyone used the pump to fill up an air mattress/something like it or is it not the right concept?

Using a compressor to fill a tank with a one way valve will allow you to use the tank air for whatever you like. Do a search for "on board air" for more info.

Puma makes a 12VDC powered air pump that has a high duty cycle.

To run a ratchet it would be good to have a larger on board tank. A 5 gallon tank will only run an impact wrench for 20 seconds or so before the pressure drops to much. You can extend that time some by having the air stored at a higher pressure.

If you have some room on the engine block you could always adapt a York style compressor. I'm pretty sure people are running air tools on them.

I've got an ExtremeAir compressor under the hood and plumbed to two hotdog tanks (5 gal total) with 1-way check valve installed. The compressor is 4cfm/100% duty cycle and I can run an impact wrench well enough to change a tire. I love the convenience, but it was a $600 project for the compressor, two tanks, fittings/hose and electrical components. All my fittings are standard 1/4" NPT so using air tools is a not a challenge. The pressure switch cuts off at about 145 psi and will kick the compressor on when it drops below 110 or so. I use mine to air up my tires after being on the trail and to fill my air mattress at camp. It's also been handy to blow out the dust/pine needles/leaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom